[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Mink Stolen: The Sci-Fi Musical

Mink Stolen: The Sci-Fi Musical

A place where new and existing members can put links to their music without asking for specific song reviews. A musical hello.

Mink Stolen: The Sci-Fi Musical

Postby ingolee » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:34 pm

Steban posted a long spoken word piece on AP and I thought, it's a guy telling a weird story with a rock band rambling in the background. So I suggested, half joking, all this thing needs is some of Krispy's unearthly perfect vocal harmonies to be complete. Steban came back with a challenge "OK, so let's collaborate!" At first I thought, impossible, but on a whim I wrote a spacy ambient track and Krispy gamely volunteered to help out, thinking "half an hour on this, maybe."

Being the compulsive sort, I couldn't let go, so it grew and consumed four months of my life, and Steban and Krispy contributed the essential ingredients to complete it. So here it is, and yes it's 27 minutes long. But in that 27 minutes is a wonderful 3 minute pop song by our favorite songstress, some crunchy Zepplinesque rock, some unearthly perfect vocal harmonies, and a unique and fascinating story, all well worth the price of admission.

I'd like you to listen.

http://www.ingolee.com/Audio/MinkStolen.mp3
ingolee

Re: Mink Stolen: The Sci-Fi Musical

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:57 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:50 am

ok, honestly, after 15 minutes, I had to take a break and listen to a lot of other things (including my own songs) but then Ifinished the track out in a final session. I am not gonna write a review just yet, I'll do that when I have an hour or more to do so and right now, there's the danger that I'll nod off before I get out 300 words ...

but, it didn't piss me off. in fact, it settled in to being something that made for good background music, and some occasional front line stuff too. musically, it was completely well done. with the theme holding true and strong and various parts being glued together by a smart arrangement. the musicanship was stellar. the vocals were dynamic and diverse. it was conceptual. I still don't give two hoots about the subject matter (as I knew I wouldn't) but stebs has never sounded more in tune, in rhythm and in touch with the reality of music. he was solid, confident, restrained, timingly accurate and just overall sooooooooo NOT stebs here. he spoke in the right key. he didn't rush and become tangled in his own story. and he just sounded good. which for him, is something I dare say rarely happens. if ever.

ingo, ned, whoever you are (even if you are actually named shirley), nice work.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ingolee » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:50 pm

ingolee

Postby HUD » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Well I listened to the whole thing finally. Definitely the best thing Stebs has been a part of (well, maybe after the AR song). Well-executed coordination between narrative and soundtrack. Kim's alien side (which we have heard sneaking to the fore on other occasions) is a great fit - the understated easy delivery for her solo number was one I'd love to hear more of. Thought the Rockin part could've used more of a screechy type more aggressive vocal treatment, maybe along with some fifth element kind of vocal production tomfoolery. Maybe a little piece here & there where I wondered about the tightness of vocal layers.
Seem a little Dr Suess -ish when a rhyming couplet would slip in ... kind of felt like sections where the narrative gets poetic-esque, those portion should be more sustained and perhaps adhere to a verse structure.
Overall, the story (besides the mink invasion) didn't really hold my attention as any kind of unified narrative. Little interesting pieces did conjure up nice vivid images.
Pleasant voice quality on Stebs - always knew he had that - and put into a marvelous sonic setting. More dramatic variation would help...should raise up the intensity in places, alter the pacing and tone as the delivery mostly sounds too matter-of-factly.
Impressive would still be the overall impression I come away with here.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby Krispy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Strike a light, thanks for devoting so much of your time to do that Hud. Much appreciated by the whole 'band' I'm sure.

Yes, there are definitely some loose bits on the vocals, but I decided to let them be (maybe laziness, maybe to make a less than pristine finish). But there are moments I'm rather proud of; these tend to be the moments when all three of us are on the same page artistically and emotionally.

The understated delivery on my song came about from having a sore throat and having to hold back a bit 'cos it was early in the morning. We liked it so much we kept it.

Oh, and I don't do screechy. :)

Thanks again old boy.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby HUD » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:33 pm

HUD

Postby ingolee » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks for listening and giving us some great suggestions HUD. We were hoping to get some of your insight on our work here and you've given us encouragement and good ideas which are a bonus!

Your production ideas sound good, I'd really like to hear that. If there's any chance you could help us with a remix of any of the tracks we have, would the 'band' be up for that? I know I would.
ingolee

Postby Krispy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:05 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby HUD » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Actually wasn't trying to crash the fur traders party... plenty of other stuff going on around here. Maybe could take a crack at the invasion of the mutant minks section if you'd like. Could post (or pm for email addy) the vox and a no-vox mix with common beginning piece.
Gandalf hasn't weighed in yet though, has he? Maybe too busy with the desolation of Smaug...
HUD

Postby ingolee » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:18 pm

ingolee

Postby steban » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:58 am

I appreciate what you, cj and HUD, have given us already, wonderful ideas! The way it is presently is a bit restrained and not as dramatic as it could be, and the mink battle could have been upped a lot, even though I find its stylized depiction very campy and artsy as is. I'm all in favor of your help, HUD, in any fashion. The way I see it is much like the Audio Refugee song, everyone contributed their ideas, and since we were psyched to do it, well, we got some pretty radical parts. We got so many it was for some people a negative, like we were trying to do too much, which indeed we were, and yet for some it was cool big. Mink Stolen as a story here is long but still trimmed back a little, and that could be hurting the story early on a bit. On the other hand, Ingo and Kim's very very stark and clean sonic landscape has given the words a pleasant personality that even my wife pretty much liked.

And even though this is not experimental, it is a fast track project with a lot of dependency on just the three of us, especially Ingo and Kim composing, performing and producing all the music. It results in some unevenness, spots that beckon for something more, and the longer we hear it, the more we might contemplate doing something different or more, even if we're not sure yet what that is. On the other hand, another musical genius might have a brilliant inspired reaction here and there, and if we are lucky might contribute to the betterment of the musical in many ways.

Yes, AR is all about reviews, but really it is about us making music that is bettered by the reviews, sometimes by the direct helping of each other. And unlike Audio Refugee, Mink Stolen has a lot of space for more stuff without being in danger of being too busy, so I would be thrilled if you gave it a go, dude.

I had an idea for a duet reprise of Kim's song, sung by Dominique and her father with slightly altered words. So I recognize that there are ideas that could improve the experience from every department, and I'd like to hear them. And even though after all the dust settles it will still be pretty much what it is, it might be like going from a stock car to a hot rod, or at least the Deluxe model with butt warmers. It might feel like it was meant to be there all along.

And when all is said and done, I hope this is something AR can be proud to be associated with. I just want it played in its entirety on BBC Radio one day! That's all.
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:04 am

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby ingolee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:41 am

ingolee

Postby HUD » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:49 am

well folks, here it is... Ned should have my individual added tracks, but here's the mix I threw together today. So don't fret about this one's levels, that's in the lap of Ned.
Minks-DHmix.mp3
(3.7 MiB) Downloaded 147 times
HUD

Next

Return to Introducing .... you and your music!