[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Here Goes Nothin' :)

Here Goes Nothin' :)

A place where new and existing members can put links to their music without asking for specific song reviews. A musical hello.

Here Goes Nothin' :)

Postby Krispy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:29 am

NOTE the subtext for this forum:

A place where new and existing members can put links to their music without asking for specific song reviews. A musical hello.

So, until that's changed, HELLO. Let me introduce you to our new song.

:mrgreen:
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Re: Here Goes Nothin' :)

Postby steban » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:02 pm

So poetic, super mellow and in the vein of Donna Jean Godchaux Grateful Dead in its flowing jazzy rock but tightened up to the precision of other more famous classic female singer/songwriters, it is not too ambitious a listen, opting to be more listenable than fancy, and yet staying pretty fancy through and through.

You do this smooth stuff very naturally, Kim, and it sounds like your cohorts enjoy it, too. This is your sweeter side.
steban

Postby mistertroll » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:32 pm

This would definitely fit into a set of jazz standards, although it isn't really Jazz, but leans that direction in feel and flavor. I can easily imagine Mick Hucknall (Simply Red) singing this. It's almost exactly his style of melody and arrangement, IMO. Probably wouldn't make a great single, but definitely a good album cut when you get ready to do a Phlogiston CD.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 pm

well kids .... this is completely a kim christy/suedepudding composition. I hear so much of what makes both of you individually styled but the two entities really do mesh into something more ...and different - like you both have stretched beyond. and it really does work .....

there's surprises amid the familiarity ... a little dark but hopeful feeling - when coupled with the lyrics, very casually conversational yet somewhat intimate. and the bridge - or as kim likes to call it - middle 8 ... well, the bridge brings on a whole new vibe. more hopeful while maintaining a hint of gray. interesting how it moves, not - seemlessly and not abruptly. it gives it an edge ....

a pretty fresh arrangement of v, ch, b etc .... as full as it is with all the changes, it's amazing it is over in 3 and a half ... I think the song gets it's edge from it - moreso than the actual progression, it's the presentation of the progression.

of course, love the drums. always do. dig the bass. always do. vintage GG but no clone from the past as much as a simple audio "I know this guy" sorta thing. vocals are actually really cool. love the delivery of the very first line kim - absolutely great combo of note and raw voice - unafraid and easy. the melody grows stronger with each listen. could never be a big hit on the shallow market cus there's just far too much variation and venturing of timing, depth and delivery. there's a lot to hear there - including the lyrics - not quite dylan but more of a running story than ga ga's gonna gag on any time soon.

just a really excellent vocal. it helps that you're right in with your voice at the moment - key wise. really sounds like you haven't missed a step over the year and a half. I love hearing it .... you're in a comfort zone (even tho I know some of it wasn't) and you pull off making it sound like more by pumping life into it. solid transitions up and down as well. I won't go on and on about the backing vox .. suffice it to say they are great in the mix!!! a great vocal arrangement, not too much, not too often - not too little, not too sparse but - be careful kim, you could fall into knowing conventional harmonizing if you're not careful ....and great mix on that gregg. super tasty work.

back to the bed ..... nice vintage tone to start on guitar .... nice chords on the top of the beat too. can't tell for sure if it's electric piano or super clean guitar - cus of the sustain - tempted to say git ... either way - nice wallpaper. and the strings entry - classic. cool. probably I'm just too big a fan of that slow staccato attack but it always seems to accent perfectly whenever it's nailed and it is here. and then it flows so well into the swells and countervoicings of a triple quartet. and it does it all from a very back seat perspective. if you're not looking for it - it's just there adding to the sonic measure by measure peaks and valleys. when you do listen for it - it's big and present. and silky ....

speaking of silky - the lead guitar ain't. it's not rough and tumble raw either but somewhere in between. never blistering but never bored. based on the melodic theme but venturing off with a laid back confidence backed by a smile and some self surprise. a bit off beat in attitude - while audibly living on it. extremely cool ... a very hefty presence too. right there with the lead vocal. nearly at odds but being just diplomatic enough in it's dirty sound to flow well back into the vox.

btw - backtracking ... gregg - your willingness to go to that ride cymbal has always grabbed me. don't ever change.

great job. I don't know if it has commercial appeal or not. probably a niche crowd. those willing to put in the time to actually listen. and then feel like listening again cus they are sure they heard something but sorta missed it ... it ain't dubstep. and it ain't willie cline. I think it'd be pleasant as background but it really begs to be listened to. and experienced on it's own. which I'll be doing.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks for listening and commenting chaps, I can assure you my appreciation far outweighs any admonishments/disapproval had it been otherwise. :mrgreen:
Krispy

Postby ingolee » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:38 am

Very well done and quite different from "Get the Picture", nice contrast. I like the edgier stuff better but this is very impressive.
ingolee

Postby Krispy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 am

Yes, definitely a contrast. Thanks again for your time and for increasing the play count Ingo. 'Impressive' is good enough for me. :mrgreen:
Krispy

Postby charvie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:27 pm

This is Brilliant ! Very catchy and in a way almost romantic.
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby Krispy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:39 pm

Krispy

Postby charvie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 pm

Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Return to Introducing .... you and your music!