[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Phlogiston: Get the Picture

Phlogiston: Get the Picture

A place where new and existing members can put links to their music without asking for specific song reviews. A musical hello.

Re: Phlogiston: Get the Picture

Postby Peevette » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:47 am

At this point, after reading the response to my post, it doesn't make sense for me to sit here and try to write out point by point rhetoric, nor do I think the effort would make any difference.

So, I get it. Kim, even though I listened to your tune and made a post to let you know that I didn't ignore your song, what I said wasn't to your satisfaction, thus my post was not worthy. I didn't say any words that you wanted to hear, and I used the 'cop-out' approach. Understood.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby Krispy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:52 pm

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby ingolee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:02 pm

ingolee

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:39 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:22 am

Krispy

Postby ingolee » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Continuing on with the AP discussion and cj's earlier post and explanations. (I should have quoted parts of it but I'm in the lazy mode today, sorry)

First off, I know we all appreciate all that has been done here for us, and I understand the difficulties and complexity of developing a website, and how much of the behind the scenes efforts go unnoticed. Whatever else I rant on about, I understand that and I admire what you've done and I know I could never do it, so thank you for all of it!

And please know that we'll support and agree with whatever you decide to do or not do with all of this, we'll be here in some fashion as long as you're online.

I know you can't start the charts over again. I'm not a php guy but code that I'm familiar with can always be tweaked to allow small changes. There's always a risk of disruption, but then again, what have you got to lose? There's only two hundred of us, not enough for a decent riot even, over here a good swat team would nip it in the bud in no time. PR rule #1: Any publicity is good publicity. ( I need a tongue-in-cheek smilie here ) But as you say, this problem will solve itself if we get more eyeballs, so action here is not a priority in my book.

Mom and Pop amateurism is a no-no, got it. The homepage look is clean and functional (sort of) now and that's great. Putting something else on the homepage vs. downline? Has to be on the homepage, the whole internet is downline somewhere. Where on the homepage? Put a little tighter wrap on the "Latest Reviews" frame and there's room for another smaller frame next to it. Minimal disruption and clutter.

What to put in this innocent little frame? Could be tasteful and unobtrusive, or . . . ? But clearly a cj blog is needed somewhere in there. Your talent and opinions are strong and needed here. But we have a large talent pool to draw on also and obviously you already have some other possibilities in mind. (No I don't have the Roxi bio, but a National Inquirer feature could be a big draw)

Unfortunately it all falls back on your (cj) shoulders and I know that's not welcome, especially in view of all that you and others have done so far. And plus I hear that the mrs has made some career changes too lately, wow, that could be tough!

And thanks also for your (cj and others) reviews of my stuff. Still wild in the streets, but I'm learning! "Little by little, we meet in the middle"
ingolee

Postby ingolee » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:28 pm

ingolee

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:56 pm

song? what song?

ok ... if by chance this song ever comes up in my audipolis review system queue - which it won't till somebody uploads something else to funk, I'll simply cut and paste this to it probably. unless something about me or it changes by then ....

it starts sorta dancing vibey ... but quickly becomes pop with a beat you can dance to. but the drums drive along with a great groove ... a big part of that is where the kick sits in the beat and in the drum mix. working it .... added percussion throughout gives it all a bigger sound too. with the right fx and verb for the attack - and that best describes this beat, a grooving attack. a good hint of thunder lows in the synth bass - but always making the notes audibly visible. a tasty dirty slap attack with the smoother and yet slightly more phase oriented synth sound. makes the track a bit edgy and I like that ....

nice airy arrangement - scant 1st verse building from that point - with keys and guitar ... and more keys. and vocals - lots more vox ... it's a very natural sounding dynamic build. with some peaks and valleys to keep it less of an uphill climb than a successful struggle to the top.

the choice of keyboard sounds and parts is subtle but every bit front stage material. and I like how the parts give a wavy flow to the heavy groove - almost swaying to the afterbeat with the sustains and jump notes and chords ...

guitar work is also a piece of mastery at the subdued star routine. laying back just muted on the beat for the verse to the good ol' R&B motown sound for the chorus. this is the funk in the tune - the guitar .... and then the final lead guitar - a bit mysterious in nature but full of attack as it ascends and then descends back into the motown part with a bit more jangle than before. sweet - all sweet. mixed very well into the tune throughout.

supporting cast - top notch.

vocals .... the big letdown ....

kidding.

love the verse, love the melody with this syncopation. love how the harms come in to accentuate the rhythmic dance of the vocals there. and they just keep building till the prechorus where the feel gets transitional. which then goes into what must be described as a bit of a diva oriented chorus - but with oddball characteristics that make it different if not more - the backing vocals ... they sweep in and around the LV and try to nurture it as it refuses to sit quietly. no, not the diva of the mariah, ga ga or even madonna mode but one a bit more snobbish and artsy ... more or less refusing to succumb to what's expected. not totally sure I really love it this way instead of a more hookish vocal soar but it does make me actually listen and hear instead of simply glide.

that might be better in the long run.

the actual vocal delivery is strong. sure. not too structured to lose intimacy but not so loose to be sloppy. a fine balance and plenty of great tone and pitch happening .... sexy start to a dominant finish. love how the first chorus spills into the next verse btw ...

great flow to the words - they "feel" good. just the right phrasing to be busy but seem relaxed. and the storyline needs some time to absorb and compute but that's fine. I like to study words after I love a song. I wanna feel it first - if I don't, I probably never bother to listen closely enough to care. so digging deep into the lyrics on a song like this comes later ... till then, I just like 'em and I don't care why or what they say.

all in all -really fine song. I do believe it has more promise than the direction taken for the chorus but like I said, the direction taken is unexpected and that's brave and not safe. still, I believe, with the tremendously delicious verses, a great hook of a chorus that rises above and lifts would yield a potential pop hit vs this being a more adventurous piece of musical expression. maybe it's integrity vs hit potential. and fact is, it's not likely in this day and age that many of us will be making a "hit" single so what the hell - stick with integrity I guess ...

I still like it.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks for the great review CJ!

So, did you like the chorus?? :mrgreen:

And yeah, that's a good point about the paste option. At the start of AP when we were loading up with content if I got a song I remembered recently having reviewed in the forum, I'd copy it into the box. I knew no one would mind. 8-)
These days it's different, for example, I got a Sly song at the weekend which I've almost certainly 'done' but there was no way I was gonna trawl back so I wrote a new one. Shit, hope I didn't contradict myself.
Krispy

Postby charvie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm

You guys really did a great job putting all the pieces together with this one. I absolutely love the guitar work Greg did here, it sits perfectly in its chair and reclines at just the right moments, the little funk taps in the rhythm are superb. As usual Kim the vocals are exceptional and your ability to tell the story is awesome. Love it!
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby Krispy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks Marc, very kind, very generous. 8-)
Krispy

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 am

if I posted an inside joke about "stuff" here, somebody who's not really bothering might get all bothered. so I won't.

so instead, I guess I'll go play on FB.

(yeah right)

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby DeathChamberzMusic » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:48 pm

Not at all jazz more alternative pop if anything pretty good The vocals little quiet not the easiest to hear on the mix
DeathChamberzMusic

Postby Krispy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:01 am

Well thanks for the listen, sorry I'm a bit late saying that.
Krispy

Previous

Return to Introducing .... you and your music!