[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - John Smith

John Smith

John Smith

Postby shankarji » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Great voice...great acoustic guitar player..

A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Re: John Smith

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:59 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby twoleftfeet » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:15 am

Shank

You're not going to like this - but it is what it is, to me.

Great vocal texture, gtrs not bad. Songwriting not at all where it needs to be.

The myspace page is opened with a cover of This Mortal Coil's 'Song to the Siren' - a dronish but definitive and beautful indie track that defined the left-field of the early 80s. Further enhanced by Buckley's cover (after a complicated and protracted love affair with Liz Fraser - sometime TMC vocalist).

The song is so charged by his history that it makes for a convenient cover for an emotional vocalist, like John Smith is.

But if I want great covers, I'll watch Pop Idol.

The rest of his self written songs (Winter et al) left me ambivalent. And bored.

I was much more excited by the Eastern teasings of the Chillum Borhters - and you know how I feel about them microtonal scale thingys - than by a singer with a cover of a classic song leading his myspace page.

I guess I'm saying I like the writers. Not the singers.

Hope you understand

2LF
Bright lights, big city, went to my baby's head.
twoleftfeet

Postby Chris K. » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:32 am

Chris K.

Postby twoleftfeet » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 am

Bright lights, big city, went to my baby's head.
twoleftfeet

Postby Chris K. » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:09 pm

oh, hell yeah, it's all good :thumb:

Differences is what makes the world so wonderful.
Chris K.

Postby Krispy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:21 pm

This is the bloke you showed us before, eh Ji? I remember Winter. This is the kind of thing that would be captivating live, but would wash over me on the home stereo. Nice for a laid-back evening with warm spiced wine.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby shankarji » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:32 pm

A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Postby Peevette » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:38 pm

the vocals remind me of a dude who plays git in the group jams......his vocal approach is the same..

I'd rather check this dude out live..
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Return to iMER Feb 1-7, 2009