[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - two a.m.

two a.m.

two a.m.

Postby Stevo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:17 am

Hey all. I met a band in the mid 90s called "two a.m." and ended up being their live sound guy for many years, and did a few studio recordings of them along the way. The core couple Don & Heidi also play as a duo. I've been wanting to share them with ya'll for a while, and this seems like a good place to do it!

I'll start with something that is one of my favorite songs of theirs, as well as one my favorite home recordings. I'd be interested to see what you folks think...

Cheers,
-Stevo
Attachments
02 Gimme Time.mp3
(5.23 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
Stevo

Re: two a.m.

Postby ROXI » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Attachments
flam.JPG
flam.JPG (12.65 KiB) Viewed 3382 times
In a world of Zombies, I'm alone with a match, a beer and a bong, and my heart has turned into stone. Glorify only what you want your child to emulate
ROXI

Postby Krispy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:04 pm

The lead singer has a rather good voice, although I think that generally the vocals are too loud and occasionally out of control. When one is clearly able to reach the heady heights of such impressive shrillness, it's advisable to know how to rein in now and then.
The predominantly monontonal backing vocals seem ill-thought out on the verses, with the long final notes in each phrase appearing to bend around one another in the optimistic hope that they will meet and harmonise somewhere. Still, that's maybe all part of the San Francisco feel they have going on here.
The guitar doesn't really do much to help the song build, rise and fall, although the vocal hook "just gimme some time" is not bad at all.
Although the lyrics are quite tender and emotive, they're not really invoking my empathy vibrations, as it too much reminds me of some of the angst-driven, clumsily-phrased outpourings from my youth.
However, there's definitely some talent going on here, and no doubt if it wasn't a home recording, some of the levels problems I'm wrestling with could easily be resolved.

Thanks for sticking it up, Stevo.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:37 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Stevo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks for checking it out folks. It actually is a guy (Don) singing in addition to Heidi, hence the duet type treatment in the mix - put I do understand how that could be confusing, considering his range goes higher than hers, and he can actually sound more feminine :)

Listening to it myself after not hearing it for a while, I was noticing the vol jumps too. I suspect some of that may have been due to editing pieces of different vocal takes together and not being careful enough to make sure the vols were consistent across all of the pieces.

Anyway, I'll definitely post some more of them! (w/full band too)

Rox, sorry for any nightmares this has caused...
Stevo

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:57 pm

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Re: two a.m. - Gimme Time

Postby Stevo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:40 am

Here's the same song but with bass, drums, and Don on "strings" with his ancient Ensoniq keyboard.

I recorded and produced this around '03 I think.

Heidi's vocs are mixed more as lead and Don more as background on this.

cj, kim - I'd be interested in hearing how you think this compares to the duo version.

Cheers,
-Stevo
Attachments
03 Gimme Time.mp3
(3.52 MiB) Downloaded 112 times
Stevo

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:11 am

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Stevo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:43 am

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:49 am

OK, attempting to upload the correct file this time....

"Gimme Time" (the full band version)
Attachments
03 Gimme Time.mp3
(3.67 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
Stevo

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:42 am

what a difference the arrangement makes in this song.

it's the same but it's much more in presentation.

it's almost unfair to compare the 2 versions ...

with the fuller treatment, they've slowed it down and relaxed it into nearly a jefferson airplane vibe - which I think really fits the melody much more fluidly.

the swells, the orchestration, the walking lows all accentuate her vocals - and dropping the background vox back to the background is smart. much better. tho once again - I gotta say, his tone, timbre and sound really does sound like I would imagine she would in a lower register. they obviously do blend splendidly. I assume this is the same lead vocal take but it sounds as if it just sits better in the song now - leading but being a part of the whole creation instead of standing sorta alone in the acoustic version.

all in all, this is a world bettah stevo. I actually am getting a bit hooked on it ....

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Stevo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:52 pm

Stevo

Postby Krispy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:48 pm

I missed this one - will listen later/tomorrow. Wageslaving now.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby shankarji » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Sorry but I just hate the vocals...drap tuneless backing vocals behind a lead that is so pitchy and out of control, that it's almost too difficult to listen to. Sorry...I know they're friends of yours Stevo...if they were friends of mine I'd tell 'em not to give up their day jobs.
A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Postby Stevo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:57 pm

Stevo

Next

Return to iMER Feb 1-7, 2009