Q&A

Everything that is geared to the site reviews.

Q&A

Postby Starsky » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:28 am

Category = Reviews

Q "Where do I find pending reviews?

and

Q. Where do I find reviews of my song or songs?

There are multiple ways to get to the reviews of your songs and in turn, rate those reviews.

A1. One way is - when signed in to the site under your AP.org screen name, simply click the "YOUR MUSIC" (http://www.audiopolis.org/your_content) link on the top nav bar of any site page. That will take you to your list of bands & songs. There, simply scroll down the page to your list of songs and you will see the pending reviews for those songs on the right of the page. (songs with pending reviews will always be at the top of that field.) some of yours might have 2 reviews, others - just one. Click on those numbers and it will take you directly to THOSE reviews of THAT song. From there, you will see the form to fill out for your reviewer, just after the text review itself. (you won't see the individual category scores until after you have 10 reviews - and then - only totals) click the buttons on the two fields and/or give a bonus point after those if you feel the need or want.

click submit (or save, or whatever it says - we change the wording sometimes to better suit your needs ...) and you're done. please rinse and repeat until you've cleared the queue if you have multiple reviews pending. This is best done by opening all links in a new window btw - that way you remain on your music page as well.

A2. you can also easily get to any pending reviews on the song page itself. for example - http://www.audiopolis.org/music/your-band/your-song - scroll down to the song list you created by uploading music ... to the right, next to the title of the reviews - if there is linked differently colored text there saying "needs feedback", click it and you will also be taken to the review page - with the rating form. see #1 above from the last sentence of paragraph 1.

A3. Sometimes, when you go to the homepage http://www.audiopolis.org, you might see reviews of your song OR reviews that you've done. Click that and follow the path to all of the above. These more recent reviews are randomly shown on that page/

A4. Click the "Words" link on the navigation bar of any site page and you'll go to the page where the last 10 site reviews are shown at the top left. You'll also see the latest announcements and articles by staff and featured speakers on the page ... anyway, if your review or one you've received is on the page, that's a roundabout way of getting there too. It's also the place where you can click and click to see every review ever written on AP.org. If you're THAT sad.
Starsky

Re: Q&A

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Q - I've never written a review before, what should I write?

A - Good Question. The simple answer is - whatever you feel like writing. Talk about what you hear or how the song makes you feel. Talk about things that you think can help the band get better or tell them how good you think the song is. If you use some respect and a slight degree of diplomacy, there's nothing wrong with telling the band how bad you think the song is as well.

If you are comfortable writing about technical aspects of the song, performance and recording - do that. If you are more comfortable writing about how the song makes you feel - well, there you go, say that. If you can do both, do that. Remember, you can make a difference to make some musicians do better or you can make them know that what they've already done is working for you as a listener.

You can also look at some other reviews by other members of audiopolis to get an idea of what others do. There is no right or wrong way to write a review and two simple sentences can be helpful to a band. The key is to try to write something that is either constructively critical AND/OR something that is meaningful with praise. You can write 1000 words or 20 (the review form will remind you if you write too few words). Do it your way.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:03 am

Q - The review I got doesn't say very much at all, what should I do?

A - Well, for one, you can try to take whatever they've given and learn from it. Even if it's just a few words - if they've given you a single point of view about just one thing, it could be helpful.

Secondly, rate the review according to the criteria written on the review rating form. The reviewer rating will eventually show that reviewer to be either a voice to be heard or one to be taken with a grain of salt. Though, if we're honest, the rating doesn't really always tell the worth of the reviewer. Somebody with a review rating of 70 can honestly be just as helpful as one with a 90 if the band is really listening to what's being said. One valid point can be more valuable than 10 mundane ones.

Thirdly, you can rant about the review you received in the audiorefugees review forum. Vent. Invite discussion and debate. We like that. viewforum.php?f=82

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:17 am

Q - The review I got is totally unfair, how can I argue with what the reviewer said?

A - You can't. Well, you can't change what they said. Or how they rated your song. It's a done deal. You can learn to live with it.

You can, however, speak to them personally in private by way of a PM (personal message) - to be honest, we've made lots of online friends by engaging reviewers in discussion about reviews and having reviewees contact us about our reviews of their songs. As well, we understand that it can lead to private flame wars but that's a plus or minus depending on whether you enjoy or hate that sort of thing. Just don't come crying to management if things go bad - you have the FOE tool for every other member of the site besides admins.

Your other option is to develop a thicker skin so that this sort of thing doesn't bother you so much that you feel the need to argue with the reviewer. After all, it is just one persons opinion and this industry is chock full of opinions regarding what's good and bad. Not all of them mean much.

ohhh and one more option ... consider the review ... they could be right. Learn from it. Reviewers aren't your mom. Or your friends (at least - up till now). They aren't really considering your 'feelings' as much as responding to what they heard in your music. Don't take it personally, it doesn't mean that they think you should be sent to Idaho to farm potatoes or to prison for writing a criminally bad song. You might just consider getting over it and developing a thicker skin. If you are serious about your music, you'll have to get used to some rejection. It's the nature of the business.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Starsky » Sun May 19, 2013 12:25 am

Q What is this blind review system and how does it work?

A http://www.audiopolis.org/article/blind ... escription
Starsky

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:44 pm

Q How long does a reviewer have to listen to my song in the blind review system pairing?

A 30 seconds. That's the minimum. The max is like ... 5000 seconds or something pretty outrageous but they must listen to at least the first 30 seconds for the review to be accepted.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:31 am

Q I either got knocked offline during a review pair OR I took too long (about 80 minutes) to finish my review and when I tried to submit my finished review, I got an error message and my review pair work was lost! What can I do?

A Get a more dependable ISP and/or take less time to complete the review! As well though, you can tick the box on your log in that says "log me in automatically" or something like that .... it's accessible through the personal account settings in the audiorefugees forum area. It's not necessarily supposed to keep you online but it seems to have that effect.

Best bet though - besides being knocked off by your ISP, do the review timely. Don't walk away and cook dinner in the middle or have a self pleasure session (even if the song made you do it).

and if it still happens ... SORRY. it's computers. they don't like us. Try again.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Q. I'm wondering how I will know when my songs have been reviewed/are being reviewed.

A. .... on your band page (or pages if you have more than one band listed), you will see a tab for editing info .... above your band name (EDIT) ... scroll down till you see the check box for "Notify me when this band's songs receive blind reviews." ... tick yes. you will receive an email when you have a review waiting (please sure to rate the review as well)

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Q. I plan on doing reviews, of course, but I'm wondering if there is a relationship between the reviews I do and the reviews I get.

A. no - not directly. not yet. there will be - when it makes sense for the site and is logistically possible. (we could go into the reasons it isn't yet but lets just suffice it to say that it would not currently make a difference as reviews will come as quickly as the membership decides to review individually)

indirectly, yes it does matter if you review others - what will happen is that by reviewing, you'll move the queue along and your songs will be more likely to be next in line. though to be sure, the queue is random, with no regard for when a song was entered into the cycle. which simply means your songs are just as likely to get reviews now as songs that have been waiting for more reviews for months. so that karma, we hope, will encourage you to jump in and review more often.

this particular Q&A is subject to change. there is a poll by suedepudding taking place that you should check out as of september 2013 viewtopic.php?f=77&t=3584

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Return to Reviews