Headphone amps / A.R.T. quality?

Tested & Approved. Gear that makes the cut. Recommend or inquire. If you wanna use it, chances are, somebody has abused it.

Headphone amps / A.R.T. quality?

Postby Stevo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:47 am

Hey gang. My 10-year-old Rolls headphone amp is flaking out on me and I need to replace it.

Think I've decided to go with one made by A.R.T. and was wondering if anyone has opinions about the general quality of their gear.

I'm looking at 2 models - leaning towards the cheaper one because it has its individual aux ins on the front, which is handier for occasional "more me" mix requests. The benefits of the Pro model are a few more meter segments as well as separate eq on each amp. Having eq sounds tempting, but am afraid that could just be a can of worms - it's enough of a challenge just getting levels and mixes right for each member.

HeadAmp6: http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=89&cat=15&id=160

HeadAmp6 Pro: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-HeadAmp6PRO-6Channel-Headphone-Amp?sku=180222&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0&gclid=CPWmqsbW7aUCFQcKbAod1xWCpQ

Any thoughts/ops?

Thanks!
If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something.
Stevo

Re: Headphone amps / A.R.T. quality?

Postby Mark Kaufman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:43 pm

A.R.T. is probably the way to go. They make really good stuff at a budget price, so what you get to worry about is build-quality. But performance is usually excellent.

Right now I use their MPA Gold pre-amp, and it's stellar for the money. I only wonder if it will last. I also had an old 80's reverb unit that I finally sold last year...it DID last, never let me down.

I give them a thumbs up from the perspective of most of us here--people who make the best of what they can afford to purchase, which is usually the Best of the Low End.

Except for Jaymz, but he robs banks.
Mark Kaufman

Postby jaymz » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:26 pm

I think A.R.T. makes junk as far as DSP. For headphones, couldn't tell you.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby Stevo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks guys!

Mark Kaufman wrote:I also had an old 80's reverb unit that I finally sold last year...it DID last, never let me down.

We had an ART digital rvb/fx unit too back in the day - single space rack mount. Most presets were unusable but it had a few passable reverbs & delays.

jaymz wrote:I think A.R.T. makes junk as far as DSP.

ha - did we all have that same unit in the 80s? :)
If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something.
Stevo

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:51 am

Stevo wrote:

yes.

how many made the transition to digitech? I had a 128 ... I think ...
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Stevo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:45 am

cjdenecia wrote:
Stevo wrote:

yes.

ha - is this the one?

ARTFX.jpg
ARTFX.jpg (21.18 KiB) Viewed 4309 times

cjdenecia wrote:how many made the transition to digitech? I had a 128 ... I think ...

I can't remember what I was using after I sold the A.R.T. in a momentary need for cash. Think I used misc crap until 1999 when I bought a Spirit Digital 328 board that has two nice Lexicon rvb/fx procs built in. Am still using those to this day but doing everything else with Waves plugins in Sonar.

As far as Digitech - for guitar I switched from many little boxes to a Digitech RP7 pedal in '98 and have stayed with that brand ever since. Upgraded to GNX2 in '02 and GNX4 in '08.
Stevo

Postby Jay » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:44 am

Stevo wrote:ha - is this the one?

ARTFX.jpg

Ha, yes! What a noisy piece of sh*t that was.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby Chris K. » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:53 pm

if it ain't analog it ain't shit ;)

ART has been known for building stuff on the lower cost side of the equation in my world of foh sound.... I've seen very little of it over the years, but what I've seen has seemed stable enough.

DSPs suck ... period. As a sound guy, I deplore them.
Chris K.

Postby Mark Kaufman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:23 pm

This was interesting: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... river.html

Back to headphone amps, I've also heard good things about the Presonus HP4. But I haven't heard one myself.
Mark Kaufman

Postby Stevo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:14 am

Mark Kaufman wrote:This was interesting: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... river.html

Back to headphone amps, I've also heard good things about the Presonus HP4. But I haven't heard one myself.

ha - yeah, that article is interesting!

I looked into that Presonus and although I'm sure it's built with higher quality parts, it's 4 times the price! Plus it has features I wouldn't use and is lacking a couple that I want. And it's ugly as hell :)

I went ahead and ordered the ART today. Am so looking forward to being rid of all the probs my old Rolls has developed.

Thanks ya'll for chipping in!

(with your opinions, not the purchase) :P
Stevo

Postby Mark Kaufman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Good call, Stevo. Probably not the kind of item worth a big investment anyway...at least not before a whole lot of other toys.

Like this one, f'rinstance.
Mark Kaufman

Postby Stevo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:43 am

Mark Kaufman wrote:Good call, Stevo. Probably not the kind of item worth a big investment anyway...at least not before a whole lot of other toys.

Like this one, f'rinstance.

haha - is that a combination dildo and Skittles dispenser?

Gives a whole new meaning to "taste the rainbow" !
Stevo

Postby Chris K. » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Presonus rules IMO. I've purchased and used Presonus components in live sound rigs.... I particularly like the ACP88 compressor/limiter/gates unit ... the best I've ever used.
Chris K.

Postby Stevo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:26 am

fyi...

ART-HP6.jpg
ART-HP6.jpg (15.22 KiB) Viewed 4272 times

received it

installed it

tested it

so far I'm lovin' in!

My only niggle: one knob on the unit was mounted just a hair counter-clockwise so that when set at the center detent, the knob marking doeesn't perfectly align with the panel marking.

I can live with it, but my mild OCD will ensure that I always notice this flaw every time I use it.

:tard: :roll:
Stevo

Return to Gear