Video on a Budget Not Freeware Wish List

Tested & Approved. Gear that makes the cut. Recommend or inquire. If you wanna use it, chances are, somebody has abused it.

Re: Video on a Budget Not Freeware Wish List

Postby zxyz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:28 am

Well.. good luck with all of that . :thumb:
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby steban » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:20 am

Well, I changed my mind and went with Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 Ultra for the video editing. It is my realization I would never do video if I had to wait for minutes/hours to render it. Music is fast, video is slow. But this program is supposed to be 64-bit and able to use multiple cores etc., and I had to buy a laptop to take on this road trip in a month, so I found an Alienware M17x on eBay for a steal, it sounds too too too too good to be true.

i7-2820QM Processor
8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
1T 7200 Hard Drive
ATi CrossFireX dual-GPU
1920 X 1080 Monitor

I have yet to receive it, so I hope it works! It is the wildest laptop I have ever seen, the keyboard lights up as well as the alien head and speakers, just wild looking, in controllable colors. I never thought that would be a big deal, but it must be for gamers. The only drawback is it is very heavy, 12 pounds, and it has a battery life of an hour and a half at best, so it is not ideal for the trip to haul around.

But ideally I will get an external audio interface like a TASCAM US-1800 USB 2.0 (16-in 4-out), and I will have a mobile audio recording studio as well as audio and video editing. I could easily record 2-3-4 people vocals and instruments on separate tracks. I'm thinking of mounting it all in an old hardback suitcase, including all the cords/connectors.
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:21 am

steban wrote: so I found an Alienware M17x on eBay for a steal

What did ya pay for it?
Prunes!
Jay

Postby steban » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:19 pm

Jay wrote:
steban wrote: so I found an Alienware M17x on eBay for a steal

What did ya pay for it?

$575.00 including shipping, Jay. That was about the cost of the processor alone!

Either it is being sold by someone who has no idea of its value or was a lemon. Normally people tell you straight up if something doesn't work, so I'm hoping it is the former who has no sentimental attachment to it, or maybe was the ex's toy.
steban

Postby Mark Kaufman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Still avidly into this thread, harboring the same intentions with the same gear, more or less...

Stebs, does Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 Ultra have the same ability as Sony Vegas to do several layers of Picture in Picture? (You know, the Pomplamoose/Brady Bunch effect.) If so, I'll probably do the same, as I jumped into the 64-bit world. I can use JBridge to run 32-bit apps, but I prefer the idea of 64 being the norm, when possible.
Mark Kaufman

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Mark Kaufman wrote:I can use JBridge to run 32-bit apps, but I prefer the idea of 64 being the norm, when possible.

Mark, you know jBridge is just for VSTs?

I'm sure it varies from app to app, but FWIW, I found that I only needed jBridge for some *very* old plugins.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby Mark Kaufman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Jay wrote:
Mark Kaufman wrote:I can use JBridge to run 32-bit apps, but I prefer the idea of 64 being the norm, when possible.

Mark, you know jBridge is just for VSTs?

I'm sure it varies from app to app, but FWIW, I found that I only needed jBridge for some *very* old plugins.

No I didn't...but I've needed it for a great deal of my plugs, including my UAD-1 card.

But if I went with Sony Vegas...wouldn't my 64-bit Windows 7 operating system be able to run it? I'm uncertain about the issue, to be honest.
Mark Kaufman

Postby steban » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:59 pm

Well, I think Sony Vegas at the top end has more effects/transitions, but it was way too slow on my old PC, a Dual Core 2.4ghz. To my knowledge PowerDirector is the most advanced code for the cheap video editors, taking advantage of 64-bit and multiple cores etc., and also if you try to make top end 1080p Blu-ray type videos it will really stress out your system.

From what I saw, as I haven't played with the software yet, on youtube and just my cursory opening is a pretty slick GUI.
I bought a copy on eBay for $35.00. By now there is a newer version I should have gotten now that I have a fast PC, but my logic was the older version might have been all my old PC could handle.

I am pretty sure you can do the picture in a picture in a picture etc., with either, but there might be rendering bottlenecks when you get fancy. I see you can do some pretty snazzy effects.

I am thinking I will start off with 720 X 480, regular DVD quality, and see how speedy that is as well as how limited. I have a feeling that one needs a decent PC to render with, and to compensate you go with a lower res and a faster processor. It does the green screen chroma key stuff, which was important for me. Once I actually try to compose a video, then all the difficulties will become apparent.

People who own both often report still using PD a lot, so it might have a hidden value.
steban

Postby zxyz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:29 pm

Ahh. Video geniuses. If I send you-all a vid of me playing guitar, can you put a back-drop of the jet-stream behind me?
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Jay » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 am

Mark Kaufman wrote:But if I went with Sony Vegas...wouldn't my 64-bit Windows 7 operating system be able to run it?

Should. Most 32-bit apps will run fine on Win 7 64-bit since they simply won't take advantage of the extra 32 bits. The main thing is to ensure you have 64-bit drivers. Your sound card, for instance, will almost certainly need a 64-bit driver.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby Mark Kaufman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Jay wrote:
Mark Kaufman wrote:But if I went with Sony Vegas...wouldn't my 64-bit Windows 7 operating system be able to run it?

Should. Most 32-bit apps will run fine on Win 7 64-bit since they simply won't take advantage of the extra 32 bits. The main thing is to ensure you have 64-bit drivers. Your sound card, for instance, will almost certainly need a 64-bit driver.

Ah, there's the rub...so it will run, but will only be able to take advantage of 4gb RAM instead of the full 8gb available to a 64-bit app in a 64-bit operating system.

Jesus...gotta be a scientist in this world. Hurts my brain.

Well, there it is...just pulled the trigger on Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 Ultra. :)
Mark Kaufman

Postby Mark Kaufman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:46 pm

So I did get Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 Ultra...and I'm already disappointed.

For all its bells and whistles, it lacks a great deal of user control. I feel trapped by the limitations of the structure. Access to 100,000 effects sounds attractive...until you realize you can't do much adjustment to any of these effects.

Take fades, for example. They are buried among a ton of other mostly unusable effects, like a cheesy cartoon picture of a burning chiminea or a static giant mushroom overlay. (Wow, look at that cartoon mushroom sitting there next to me! Amazing!) But your drag-and-drop fade effect always starts or ends in black, and the length of all your fades will be the same...you can only change that length in Preferences, but then the same length will apply to all fades. So if you want a long fade in, and a few shorter in-and-out fades from white a bit later on...you can't do it---but you can do it in a freebie program like Windows Movie Maker.

I feel like I'm driving a nice car, but I'm unable to take it out of cruise control and it won't let me turn left.
Mark Kaufman

Postby Mark Kaufman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Mark Kaufman wrote:Take fades, for example...you can only change that length in Preferences, but then the same length will apply to all fades. So if you want a long fade in, and a few shorter in-and-out fades from white a bit later on...you can't do it---

I'm an idiot. You can too. Actually a very cool program once you RTFM and comprehend.

How's it going for you, Stebs? Hows the Alien?
Mark Kaufman

Postby steban » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:09 am

Well, Mark, the Alien was an eBay scam, and the guy fortunately refunded my money, but there was never a real laptop, so bummer!

BUT I did get a Sony Vaio with 16.4" screen and backlit keyboard, 8 GB RAM and 500 GB hard drive, an i7 740QM, which I have only briefly tested with Cyberlink, but it looks pretty fast so far. It was only 750, so not bad, and the guy threw in a laser mouse and Ogio bag, worth $100 and I needed them. I just haven't had time to fool with it yet. My road trip will be the test. I hope to get some fun shots. Who knows?

And it is pretty light.

I am not sure my old Cubase SX will run on the Windows 7 64bit, but I have a program that came with a tiny Behringer external stereo in/out audio interface that might suffice for mobile recording, too. Although on this trip I'm not taking a guitar or mic or anything. Later though I hope to try ASIO4ALL driver to use my internal soundcard mic as well for 4-in/4-out. But I digress.
steban

Previous

Return to Gear