Fender Reverb Deluxe Reissue

Tested & Approved. Gear that makes the cut. Recommend or inquire. If you wanna use it, chances are, somebody has abused it.

Fender Reverb Deluxe Reissue

Postby Liquidirt » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:24 pm

I just got a 65 Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue and played it at practice. I use a VG system and running through the PA wasn't quite cutting through the mix. I was afraid this wouldn't cut through, but was completely surprised. I never ever used a Fender amp, too country sounding for me, or so I thought. Sure is a clean sound, but wasn't that what I needed for my VG system? NO! I needed the bottom end when doing hard rock, and solid state PA's or amps never can deliver. This little 22 watt cut through like a hot knife in butter. People said I never sounded any better. Kudo's Fender, what the hell have I been thinkin all these years? I give this little amp a very high score.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer."
Liquidirt

Re: Fender Reverb Deluxe Reissue

Postby shankarji » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:55 pm

yep...kulu swears by his...not sure if it's the same model but it's a Fender combo.
A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Postby Mark Kaufman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:58 pm

Yeah I've heard good things about this one, even though the classic point to point wiring is replaced by a circuitboard. Cranked up, it should sound anything BUT country. Nice fat Fender tone. I think you could get an even better tone swapping out the tubes for some NOS RCAs or Telefunkens too.

If you want to blow your own mind, find a little old Fender Champ and crank it. I think it's the best tone of all the Fender amps, all in 5 watts and a 6 inch speaker. Clapton used a Champ for "Layla" and all the other tracks on that Derek and the Dominoes Album. Great for recording, and I've even seen some guitarists use them live and miked into a PA system.
Mark Kaufman

Postby Liquidirt » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:20 pm

I traded my Deluxe in for a Twin, not that there was anything wrong with the deluxe, just needed more power without breaking up. Gawd the ONLY drawback, this beast is freakin HEAVY as fuck!
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer."
Liquidirt

Postby stephen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Liquidirt wrote:I traded my Deluxe in for a Twin, not that there was anything wrong with the deluxe, just needed more power without breaking up. Gawd the ONLY drawback, this beast is freakin HEAVY as fuck!

That they are.
It surprises me that you've never used Fender before this......my second amp was a Fender that had the BEST onboard reverb I've ever heard to date. I miss that amp actually. Too many beer spills caused its demise, but it was awesome during its 4 year run.
I close my eyes and I feel the fear.
stephen

Postby Stevo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:58 pm

stephen wrote:my second amp was a Fender that had the BEST onboard reverb

I love/miss the sound of drunken fans/musicians falling into/accidentlly kicking those things.

It is featured prominently on a version of When The Music's Over on some live Doors album.
If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something.
Stevo

Postby stephen » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:06 am

Stevo wrote:
stephen wrote:my second amp was a Fender that had the BEST onboard reverb

I love/miss the sound of drunken fans/musicians falling into/accidentlly kicking those things.

It is featured prominently on a version of When The Music's Over on some live Doors album.

Gotta love that springy sound!
I close my eyes and I feel the fear.
stephen

Postby Liquidirt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:27 pm

I just ran my Fender Twin through a Marshal 4X12 Cab and I'll be damded, the sucker kicked the head room way up, and talk about clean tone. Wow, I was just blown away, so now I am looking for a nice cab for larger gigs. It's only 80 watts, but for some reason that thing kicked into high gear and blew everyone away. I was amazed at the difference in tonality and the head room I got from it.
Liquidirt

Postby jaymz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:45 pm

One of my early on amps was a fender princeton chorus. Everyone else had big half stacks, i had my little combo.

i aint skered.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby Chris K. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Deluxe Reverb's are great amps! Hard rock players I've done sound for over the past decade have largely used Mesa Dual and Triple Rectifiers... and many many Marshall tube amps ... I don't see too many hard rock players using Fender Deluxe Reverbs - some Twins though for sure. I've used Fender and Peavy amps for most of my playing since '73. I did have a Marshall for a few years, but it never gave me what I wanted when playing Allman Brothers or Little Feat stuff ...
Chris K.

Postby Liquidirt » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:07 am

Well I sprung for the 4X12 Marshall Cab and wow, this thing is awesome. I use the VG-88 so I have plenty of crunchy dirty gritty sounds, but the acoustic sounds would break up with the volume past 4. I don't really have to turn it up that loud most of the time but now, when I do, it is a clean tone coming out loud and clear. I call it my Fendall half stack. :lol: This Fender Twin goes hand in hand with the Marshall Cab. People freak when they see the Fender driving the tune "Rise" by The Cult being played through a Fender, then a tap of my pedal I've got this ultra clean twelve string going on for "Madam Blue" by STYX, cutting through like a knife in butter. I love this Fender Twin and my Marshall cab or my Fendall Twin Half Stack. :lol: So 6X12's sounds great.
Liquidirt

Postby pharquartt » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:19 am

Liquidirt wrote:Well I sprung for the 4X12 Marshall Cab and wow, this thing is awesome. I use the VG-88 so I have plenty of crunchy dirty gritty sounds, but the acoustic sounds would break up with the volume past 4. I don't really have to turn it up that loud most of the time but now, when I do, it is a clean tone coming out loud and clear. I call it my Fendall half stack. :lol: This Fender Twin goes hand in hand with the Marshall Cab. People freak when they see the Fender driving the tune "Rise" by The Cult being played through a Fender, then a tap of my pedal I've got this ultra clean twelve string going on for "Madam Blue" by STYX, cutting through like a knife in butter. I love this Fender Twin and my Marshall cab or my Fendall Twin Half Stack. :lol: So 6X12's sounds great.

yeah, but can ya play in 3/4 time on it?
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby Liquidirt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:09 am

pharquartt wrote:
Liquidirt wrote:Well I sprung for the 4X12 Marshall Cab and wow, this thing is awesome. I use the VG-88 so I have plenty of crunchy dirty gritty sounds, but the acoustic sounds would break up with the volume past 4. I don't really have to turn it up that loud most of the time but now, when I do, it is a clean tone coming out loud and clear. I call it my Fendall half stack. :lol: This Fender Twin goes hand in hand with the Marshall Cab. People freak when they see the Fender driving the tune "Rise" by The Cult being played through a Fender, then a tap of my pedal I've got this ultra clean twelve string going on for "Madam Blue" by STYX, cutting through like a knife in butter. I love this Fender Twin and my Marshall cab or my Fendall Twin Half Stack. :lol: So 6X12's sounds great.

yeah, but can ya play in 3/4 time on it?

Huh, probably not. :mad:
Liquidirt

Return to Gear