[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Time Wasters!

Time Wasters!

This forum is for reviewees and reviewers and all comers to discuss various aspects of Audiopolis reviews. (contribute at your own risk and be sure to actually DO official AP.org reviews!)

Time Wasters!

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:25 am

Just read a couple of reviews from cj denecia, which were obviously copied and pasted, and justifiably so!

I cannot for the life of me understand Independent musicians who quite happily upload their compositions onto this wonderful site, only to leave them festering on here, not responding to reviews when politely requested to, and what's more, not even bothering to review songs!

I for one have valued reviews of The Frontliners' songs on this site, some balanced, some positive, some negative, and some hilarious and entertaining!

Those who don't bother? I agree with cj's sentiments..... f************* off!
...and then there were none...
Ailwyn Rees

Re: Time Wasters!

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:22 pm

thanks for the support ailwyn. one of the problems with the site, as I've seen is that yes, too many people simply have come and uploaded and done nothing else. they haven't even bothered to rate the reviews given. it's been discouraging ....

we're certainly at a crossroad with the site at the moment and it'd be a positive sign that might sway us towards continued efforts if more were actively taking part in all aspects of what audiopolis offers, gives and receives.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby pharquartt » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:30 am

now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:20 am

I've often passed a recommendation to fellow indie musicians about the Audiopolis site. Our drummer Chris will soon be uploading some of his own compositions...

Curiously enough, to add insult to injury, Mr Jakob22 has featured one of my reviews!

Speak again soon.... Rock on,

Ailwyn
...and then there were none...
Ailwyn Rees

Postby Mark Kaufman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Mark Kaufman

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:21 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:05 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby HUD » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:12 pm

As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby Mark Kaufman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Mark Kaufman

Postby Mark Kaufman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 pm

Mark Kaufman

Postby Mark Kaufman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Mark Kaufman

Postby Krispy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:56 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby steban » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:57 pm

I've also been a member for 4 years at recordingreview.com, a site started by a guy named Brandon Drury who is all about home studio recording, I'd say beyond that as well, but they do a song review forum called Bash This Recording.

[url]forum.recordingreview.com/f11/[/url]

I get this email newsletter regularly with reviews of hardware and software, stuff, cj, you would probably get into. I'd never participated in their reviews, but as of late I was curious to see how it worked. After all, I'm not technical, and I was thinking this crowd would focus on that side.

So, I dove in, introduced myself, did a few reviews so far, and haven't been totally ignored or put down as a mixing idiot or anything yet, and it has been pretty fun, much like our review forum was.

The main things I was concerned about were the speed, quantity, and honesty of the reviews. They are not blind, but they are not back scratching flattery either. The responses come fairly quickly, it seems, within a few days, and if too old they might just get lost in the list. Some get a lot of comments, others not so much, but I'd say there is a small group who are most active at any point in time who account for most of the reviews.

The one thing that is different is people share songs at different points in the process, often before the final mix, sometimes very early, and they tell you that coming in.

My hope is the people at this site might be attracted to ours for more reviews. There are a lot of soundcloud people as well.

I read a thread about doing reviews if you wanted to get reviews, as that is the big issue everywhere, I think it just gets handled more directly in a forum.

Our official blind review system is just not fast enough right now to get too much new participation. New people are not going to wait weeks or months to get reviewed. When we change that, we'll be a very satisfying place to go for feedback. I can envision a lot of the people at recordingreview.com also participating here. After all, different sites offer different attractions for us all, and in a way we all become part of a team, not just the fb social thing.
steban

Postby steban » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:45 pm

Which reminds me, the "contest" pretty much works against people submitting Works in Progress. We have a nice thread for that, but perhaps we underutilize it. It seems to be similar to the old Review thread. Perhaps we need to embrace these threads as what some people are really looking for, or somehow incorporate them into the "contest", like a preseason football game.
steban

Postby ptalbot » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm coming right from recordingreview and got curious from a post from steban.

It's true that they have reviews there, and although they are more geared towards technical aspects, there are all sorts.
People posts there to get honest opinion of their mix, and advice on how to fix them. Some things are highly subjective, some aren't.
But you can also ask about the arrangement, the production, whatever you have doubt about...
Even if you don't ask you will have all sorts of first listen reactions, which is always valuable...

Even people with not much mixing experience will be able to tell you that they think your mix is too bright or that they don't like the sound of your drums or that there's not enough bass, things like that, when repeated from a few posters this will give you helpful hints.
Up to you to do something about it or not, depending on your artistic vision and how this fits.

It's an open forum (just register and post), which helps. There are regular posters for sure, and people more active than others (I'm quite active :)).
The main message, at least that's how I get it, is that reviewing (it's called 'bashing' there - not as awful as it sounds, just a reflection of Brandon's humour) is helping you as much probably even more than the people you are reviewing. You get to learn and practice critical listening, which in itself is the most valuable thing a musician/audio engineer can get. I know I've learned a lot there just by practising that. I think my own mixes have gained a lot in the process.

Yes, of course people not interacting too much will get less reviews than the one who did.
That's the reward. The more you invest in there, the more you get.
Some people I don't bother commenting on (even though I might listen to what they do), because they never bash or participate.
They are missing the point IMHO.

And yes, when you put a song there, you will generally get a dozen reviews within a day or two, some of them really helpful. Makes you want to interact more as well, and come back, I suppose.
I guess that people are hanging out there because there's also a lot of interaction with technical questions, and newbies are sometimes coming with a direct question, and will stay (or not) because they learn in the process.

In short, I think the blind review system is a great idea, but maybe it should be reserved for contests, with a real price at the end... this would be attractive for newcomers.
But there would also be a need for real simple interaction: I see there's a new song there (it get posted in my mailbox), I listen to it, I react to it, done.

I'm just throwing ideas here, and maybe it's been done before, but I think there's value in your little community here, it's a different approach but it could work with more members for sure. Everything should be done to welcome new members, draw them in numbers and have them want to stay.

-Patrick
ptalbot

Next

Return to Audiopolis Reviews Discussions (Waggers and slaggers)