reviewers extraordinaire!

This forum is for reviewees and reviewers and all comers to discuss various aspects of Audiopolis reviews. (contribute at your own risk and be sure to actually DO official AP.org reviews!)

reviewers extraordinaire!

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:34 am

we wanna make sure we stress our appreciation for every review that hits the pages of audiopolis!

thus far, we've pretty much monitored every single review that's been written and to be completely honest, we're incredibly impressed and thrilled with how well each and every one has been thought out and expressed. there's obviously a wide range of styles going on but each has it's place in the big picture and ya'll are completely leading the way by example.

we've seen some one-liners and some 1000 word worders. we've seen some that deal with strictly the way a song made a reviewer feel and some that deal with more technical aspects. we've seen some creative piss-taking and some wonderful tongue in cheek realities. we've seen some that speak in terms of comparative analysis and some that are simply from another bizzaro universe!

and they're all golden!

we definitely wanna continue to promote individualism in reviews. we wanna stress that there are very few real right ways and in turn, very few wrong ways.

we're seeing some pretty disparate reviewer ratings but it is important to note, the difference between a RR of 60 and 107 is subjective and the truth is, not nearly as much of a barometer of worth as it appears. it is now and will probably always be that we think any RR above 60 is great. let's really keep in mind that in the big picture, the reviewer ratings are simply numbers and the number of actual reviews are the most important number we have. in the end, it'll be what is most literally rewarded.

the bottom line is that we're incredibly pleased with EVERY review thus far. ya'll are leading the way with individual leanings that will be the litmus for all future audiorefugees reviewing on audiopolis! please keep it up.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Re: reviewers extraordinaire!

Postby Krispy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:09 am

cj wrote:we're seeing some pretty disparate reviewer ratings but it is important to note, the difference between a RR of 60 and 107 is subjective

Although having a rating of over 100 shows beyond a doubt that you should be getting out more.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Krispy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:36 am

By my count 464 songs reviewed by 10 reviewers so far. Jolly good show.
Anyone like to make that 500 by 16? :D
Krispy

Postby Steve Ison » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:07 pm

Nice one cj..Thats a great post dude 8-)
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 am

Krispy wrote:By my count 464 songs reviewed by 10 reviewers so far. Jolly good show.
Anyone like to make that 500 by 16? :D

we'd love that! if you're reading this - and haven't done a review pair - just go on. do one. what can it hurt? and remember - it's not about the text review - it's about the process. getting involved, doing it. being a part of what we've held on for. every pair helps. no matter what you say - how much you say - or how you say it, it's the reason we held this all together since gb went all iLike and then iDied.

and thanks steve. as the good english mum says - you've been a little treasure.

but in keeping with the pep talking, BS walking ... we really would love to see another surge in participation over the next 2 to 3 weeks or so. for good reason - if we can get enough reviews in - we might be able to see some songs start to finish the first round in this period. and therefore see results - which might be just in line for our codeman gregg to be at the ready to do some tweaking and explaining of things as the round winds down for some.

so if you have a few minutes, please please please - go on and review. the sooner we can start to see what's happening with live experience, the sooner we can start to explore our marketing exploits to bring in new musicians and songs. but we need results to fall back on and know how it's going to go. and that, is on us.

and don't worry if you don't like the idea of your account saying you've only done 2 reviews - or 10 ... every single pair is important. vastly. plus - you might just discover something you love that you haven't heard before. I dare say I probably know every single song on this site more readily than anyone and just tonight, I ran into two great songs by AP artists that I hadn't heard before. honest. the quicker we get through this round, the more likely we are to moving to the point where that can be a regular occurrence. which is of course, the point. music. new music. indie music.

plus - always remember, every review holds the possibility you'll run into one of my songs and you can tell me in review and in tick boxes just how much you hate me. how can that be bad?

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 am

Just a quick :bow: to Stebs for doing all those reviews. Jolly good show!, as they say in The Garrick Club.
Krispy

Postby Steve Ison » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Krispy wrote:Just a quick :bow: to Stebs for doing all those reviews. Jolly good show!, as they say in The Garrick Club.

Just thinking totally the same..Infact the home page is all Stebs now...
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Steve Ison wrote:
Krispy wrote:Just a quick :bow: to Stebs for doing all those reviews. Jolly good show!, as they say in The Garrick Club.

Just thinking totally the same..Infact the home page is all Stebs now...

eyup .... I'm quite good with this ... btw stebs I know I already said it a while back but I'm glad to see the old reviewer stebs back in this environment. great job.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:42 pm

The beauty about GB was always the reviewing, the music was a nice side bonus. But as one submitted songs of any caliber one always got a few very insightful and well written reviews, and the artists from top to bottom often took special note of those.

This time I find it as much fun as always, although some days and for some songs I am more in the zone, but hey, not every review will be a signature review.

What I find rather funny is there's one cj song where Steve and I are both signatures. Who would have ever thunk....

And I am reviewing a lot because I am anxious for more reviews of my own songs! I'm waiting for a Hud review, and it is perfectly fine by me. It is not flattery sought or gotten in the run of things. Or a zxyz- ummmm....XXXXX OOOO YYYYYY ... WTF even!
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Postby Krispy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Wish there were more like you Stebs.
I hope to get back to reviewing in the next coupla days.
Krispy

Postby steban » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:46 pm

I must thank Peev and HUD for cranking out a goodly number of reviews, and in Experimental I might add!

It seems to have been a largely skipped over genre, and I have 2 songs in there, and now I've gotten 3 new reviews!

They are in GB terms insightful and helpful, and no pretending they were glowing, but they were fair and balanced in AP terms, and that is what counts.

Actually, HUD kinda liked Money Is Freedom of Speech, and I can see why he might now.

It is so cool getting these reviews again, the endless deep debate as to what is experimental anyway rages on, and that is quite alright. If one browses anything described as experimental there will be plenty of eye brows raised.

Beyond being experimental, there is the issue of the enjoyability of a song, and I think the longer and looser and more repetitious does weigh heavily not in its favor, especially in a contest. Alas, we all are prone to our excesses, and we must knowingly bear the brunt of them.
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Postby HUD » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 pm

steban wrote:Actually, HUD kinda liked Money Is Freedom of Speech, and I can see why he might now.

hey now...don't be effing up my reputation and cred and shit. It was after hearing Sombrero Galaxy, so one can imagine how the sound of copulating felines would then also get some lurve.

Full disclosure:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (64.06 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:27 pm

yo hud ... was that 59 seconds, the time of day you gave it reading correct or was it the clocking glitch?

anyway ... haven't really been in experimental reviewing yet - maybe one pair ... by your assessment, should I break out those old leafs and the leftover remnants of buds I found the other day while cleaning up a burn before I do? or wait for my buddy to gimme a few fresher greens or even fork out a few bucks for a head thrill?

worst case scenario - aquafresh on a fag?

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby HUD » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:38 pm

cjdenecia wrote:yo hud ... was that 59 seconds, the time of day you gave it reading correct or was it the clocking glitch?

anyway ... haven't really been in experimental reviewing yet - maybe one pair ... by your assessment, should I break out those old leafs and the leftover remnants of buds I found the other day while cleaning up a burn before I do? or wait for my buddy to gimme a few fresher greens or even fork out a few bucks for a head thrill?

worst case scenario - aquafresh on a fag?

totally doood...a big cheech n chong sized doob would be perfect unless you can cop some shroooms...then you could go record Galaxy Sombrero.

Yeah, that 59 secs was me having to re-run the song to get the min. It happens fairly often where I'll finish the song and the reviews and notice 0 time, then have to click the start/stop button until the listening time starts. Then, there've been times where the time kept rolling long after the song's done and I'm typing the review.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby Krispy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:12 am

Stebs wrote:the endless deep debate as to what is experimental anyway rages on

Yeah, must've had about 5 GB reviews with the first line "What's experimental about this?"
Krispy

Next

Return to Audiopolis Reviews Discussions (Waggers and slaggers)