[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - reviewers extraordinaire!

reviewers extraordinaire!

This forum is for reviewees and reviewers and all comers to discuss various aspects of Audiopolis reviews. (contribute at your own risk and be sure to actually DO official AP.org reviews!)

Re: reviewers extraordinaire!

Postby Krispy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:39 pm

YES!! Just caught up with The Archbishop at 86 reviews apiece. This had been troubling me for some time.
And all because it's raining hard today, just for Her Maj's Jubilee ding-dong.
Game on, Bowie boy. 8-)
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby HUD » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:47 pm

As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby Krispy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:38 pm

I can assure you that I will definitely be getting out more. Once it stops raining.
Krispy

Postby meatcigars » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:23 am

meatcigars

Postby Krispy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:40 am

Krispy

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:49 am

I love it when I see unfamiliar and then old names on reviews.

old names like wade ... coming back and knocking out some really informative and opinionated reviews from a producers/writer/musican pov ....

the questionable near english speaking alcinogen (or whatever his name is) doing his short but consistent job.

some new members doing a fair share right off the mark.

some relatively frequent reviewer names staying frequently relatively review ready and willing and just doing it ....

the growth is slow, but it is growth. bravo AP.org.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:22 am

Krispy

Postby HUD » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:00 pm

HUD

Postby Krispy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:43 am

Krispy

Postby Krispy » Sat May 10, 2014 9:23 am

Another problem having too few reviewers creates is having to look at a few bands' entire catalogue. For me that means a continuing narrative of reviewing, rather than a fresh, open approach for each song. I know who the band is because I've listened to 25 of their other songs, and I think maybe I was harsh on the last one, so I might be nicer on this one. It's also like reviewing an album, but over a six month period, and not as a whole work.

But the prolific songmeisters are often the prolific reviewers, so that's that.

And I reckon it gives the song in the pair that's not artist-identifiable an automatic advantage.
Krispy

Postby steban » Tue May 27, 2014 11:50 pm

steban

Postby cjdenecia » Wed May 28, 2014 12:43 am

you do the reviews, you upload the tunes.

it's a two way street that you've traveled well stebs. if we had 100 members like you, we'd be dope.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Well, I've got to applaud our newest member, Patrick, for already knocking out 36 reviews! And pretty darn good ones at that.

I was fortunate to get four I think, and let me be clear that good does not mean positive. I was slammed for all the things wrong with the songs, and I am totally fine with that.

It is almost always surprising to me when someone cannot understand the words, and before I die I am going to figure that out. And yes, I've used some super cheesy midi sounds and really bad mics, topped off by poor mixes, and someday I might revisit those....

But the point of it all for me is not to revisit the past but to attack the next project with some improvement, something learned, some bad habit less in control, even if that will not mean I won't ramble on longer than is the normal person's tolerance, or use too much reverb or echo, etc etc.

All I want to say is this is a great site to review at, quite a lot of variety, some extraordinary, many good, many (like so many of mine) with lots to criticize, which in a way is part of the fun.

I will try to stay involved at both here and recordingreview.com, but I am certain you have a solid lead on the reviewer of the month award, especially here!

As a footnote, I really appreciate all the insight and suggestions you have already shared with us here. We are in a tough spot with active members. I had suggested the pay for review idea, not because I would pay myself, but to attach a value to doing the review. In the final discussion, however, the idea to encourage doing a review pair to be reviewed faster is what we decided would be fair- not the only incentive, but a step in the right direction.

I think having some sort of mini contests and prizes for reviewers as well as songs is a great idea. But meanwhile, you have done what we need most- reviews! Many thanks, and it won't be forgotten.
steban

Postby ptalbot » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Well thanks, steban!

I really like the surprise of not knowing what I will hear. It's quite exciting and drives me to try more... and then more :)
This is really a strong point here BTW.

I've heard some pretty good things, some really bad as well, and I'm not one to give praises but point on the problems, I find it more helpful.
Most of the issues I've heard and commented upon are mixing issues. Some are arrangements but this is perhaps even more subjective as I can dislike a song/genre, but appreciate the musicianship, production efforts and mixing in any genre. No one's music is universal anyway, so there will be people disliking what you do no matter what. And that's fine.

I got some time on my hands these last couple of days - I'm self-employed and there are ups and downs, so I make the most of the downs usually to get involved in music one way or another :)

In any case, I think musicians should grow a hard skin and be prepared to be bashed thoroughly and not take it personally.
To me there's only one way: up, and no shortcuts for that: get feedback/improve/practice/get feedback/improve/practice/etc.

Keep up the good work!
-Patrick
ptalbot

Postby HUD » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:03 pm

HUD

PreviousNext

Return to Audiopolis Reviews Discussions (Waggers and slaggers)