"Noir/Jaune" -- an instrumental REHEARSAL TAPE

This is the place to go for preliminary critiques if you're interested in getting some community feedback on improvements to your song BEFORE entering it into the Audiopolis Review System. Don't come in expecting nothing but praise - this is a place to get advice and learn about making your tunes better.

"Noir/Jaune" -- an instrumental REHEARSAL TAPE

Postby PopTodd » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:43 pm

A rehearsal tape of me and the HoP drummer/keys player working out a new instrumental a few weeks ago. In the background, you can hear his 1-year-old baby crying because she doesn't want to nap.

But the dulcet tones of our melodies lull her gently to sleep and by about a minute and a half into it, you can no longer hear her.

Anyway, it's still very rough, as you can tell by my giving instructions to Dave as we play. But I think that it's going in the right direction. I have a few notes already about the arrangement (Dave messed up the transition between the 2 parts), but am open to some more thoughts on instrumentation. Get my wheels turning.

"Noir/Jaune"

And yeah, the guitar is a little bit out of tune. It's a piece of shit instrument that I borrowed from him for the rehearsal.
Also, we are still trying to work out a piano melody for the second part of the piece. But we'll get there.
Just wanted to share and see what y'all had to say about the bones of the piece.
PopTodd

Re: "Noir/Jaune" -- an instrumental REHEARSAL TAPE

Postby steban » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Hey Todd, that was a pretty composition, worthy of full development. The suggestions are easy to imagine, and I wouldn't be surprised it would go along those lines and beyond.

This intermediary view of the birth of a song is almost as interesting as the final version, hearing the basis of its idea/structure. I'm fine with the out of tune guitar even, adds authenticity.
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Return to Works in progress