to the Sky

This is the place to go for preliminary critiques if you're interested in getting some community feedback on improvements to your song BEFORE entering it into the Audiopolis Review System. Don't come in expecting nothing but praise - this is a place to get advice and learn about making your tunes better.

to the Sky

Postby slywitt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:12 am

The darn songs are starting to come again after a year hiding. I don't think my 60 yr old voice is up to the task anymore -although my 50 yr old one wasn't doing too well either. I'm thinking about asking someone else to sing this. Any thoughts?
It's 2 minutes long.

toTheSky.mp3
(3.53 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Re: to the Sky

Postby slywitt » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:14 am

Ha! I'll reply to myself. Thanks to a dear friend who did me some drums, and me doing a bit of harmony. This guy's comin' together,

toTheSky_firstTakeHarmoniesHorns.mp3
(3.53 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
slywitt

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:24 am

slywitt wrote:Ha! I'll reply to myself. Thanks to a dear friend who did me some drums, and me doing a bit of harmony. This guy's comin' together,

toTheSky_firstTakeHarmoniesHorns.mp3

now, that's a clean arrangement man. or, at least much cleaner than your usual starting points .... great drums - your buddy did you a solid. cool riff in this .... loads of possibilities on creating a great mix with what you've got. you should consider a lot of comes and goes with things - and wide stereo separations - and some heavy eq work ... hell - you should consider letting me mix it. heh ... nice parts, good verse/chorus vibe ...

btw - you sing it fine. just work on those little high notes- do multiple takes in falsetto and just blend 'em together with a smidge of unifying verb.

good stuff man - keep cranking.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Another strong song, sly! I liked both versions, even though there are some vocal issues, reminded me of Paul Simon's and Paul McCartney's older voices on SNL 40 last night, not as strong as once upon a time, but still pretty impressive. This one has a catchy vocal rhythm with very good lyrics. Very good.

Melody was top notch, too. I'd be mighty interested in hearing it covered by another singer, no offense intended, but good singers need good songs to shine.

The harmony vocal was shaky but on the right track.

I am not feeling the muse lately, but others are, and it is inspiring to hear cool new music still coming out of my unknown heroes here.
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Postby slywitt » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:04 am

cjdenecia wrote:. hell - you should consider letting me mix it. heh ... nice parts, good verse/chorus vibe ...

Dude, if you're serious, that would be very cool!. Not only do I think this tune deserves great production, but I think I could learn a lot by what you did with it. Win, win. Just let me know what you need from me. I really like this little tune, and it seems to be popping with most people who hear it.

I'll hold off on widely releasing 'my' version of it until you decide if you have the time to give it. ...and I'm serious about giving you carte blanche ...well, mostly... what you did with "...Come Home" still has me blown away. I heard what you started with. The whole was greater than the sum of it's parts. ...and it goes without saying that if the 'better half' has any ideas, notes, whatever..they are most welcome as well.

I re-did the vocals, added a 'rockin' 2nd rythm guitar and some horns. This is 'my' final version, I think.

toTheSky_rc1.mp3
(3.53 MiB) Downloaded 85 times

ps. sorry it took so long to get back here. I had a promotion at work recently into senior network engineering that's been eating up a lot of my time/energy trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing. I'm an old dog learning a bunch of new tricks ... so I've been even more sporadic on the net than usual...which is saying something.
slywitt

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:19 pm

slywitt wrote:
cjdenecia wrote:. hell - you should consider letting me mix it. heh ... nice parts, good verse/chorus vibe ...

Dude, if you're serious, that would be very cool!. Not only do I think this tune deserves great production, but I think I could learn a lot by what you did with it. Win, win. Just let me know what you need from me. I really like this little tune, and it seems to be popping with most people who hear it.

I'll hold off on widely releasing 'my' version of it until you decide if you have the time to give it. ...and I'm serious about giving you carte blanche ...well, mostly... what you did with "...Come Home" still has me blown away. I heard what you started with. The whole was greater than the sum of it's parts. ...and it goes without saying that if the 'better half' has any ideas, notes, whatever..they are most welcome as well.

I re-did the vocals, added a 'rockin' 2nd rythm guitar and some horns. This is 'my' final version, I think.

toTheSky_rc1.mp3

ps. sorry it took so long to get back here. I had a promotion at work recently into senior network engineering that's been eating up a lot of my time/energy trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing. I'm an old dog learning a bunch of new tricks ... so I've been even more sporadic on the net than usual...which is saying something.

I'm completely serious. I'll PM you my email address so we can discuss how to transfer your tracks to me, etc ...
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby slywitt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:42 pm

...most cool!!
slywitt

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:49 pm

slywitt wrote:

toTheSky_rc1.mp3

Hi Gents... I'll have a listen over the weekend and share any thoughts/aspirations that I have :-)

Ailwyn
...and then there were none...
Ailwyn Rees

Return to Works in progress