You Wrote This Song

This is the place to go for preliminary critiques if you're interested in getting some community feedback on improvements to your song BEFORE entering it into the Audiopolis Review System. Don't come in expecting nothing but praise - this is a place to get advice and learn about making your tunes better.

You Wrote This Song

Postby PopTodd » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:37 am

This is a rough, bedroom recording. But I am going into the studio with this piano player (who is the drummer, too) and an amazing female singer, an incredible guitar player (the singer's father), and one of the best bass players that I've had the pleasure to share a room with.
Looks like the date is in mid-December. Still rehearsing and working out parts (as evidenced by the piano... but it's headed in the right direction).
Anyway, I hope that you like it. Curious to hear what you think.
http://soundcloud.com/poptodd/you-wrote-this-song-v-2

T
PopTodd

Re: You Wrote This Song

Postby ingolee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:03 pm

I like the chorus hook, that's a good idea. It's a pretty standard progression and melody which is cool but the arrangement will be critical if it's going to stand out from the crowd; you'll have to be creative with that. I'm not sure about a female singer, we'll have to see how she does, I always think Merle Haggard should sing every country song! I look forward to hearing the final version.
ingolee

Postby PopTodd » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:02 pm

I was not sure about the female thing either, but then I heard her sing it and I became sure.

As to getting Merle to sing it, I don't know any good mediums and even if I did, I don't know how many times we could get his ghost to sing it. But yeah, I think that it could very well be done by a male singer. Maybe I'll record 2 versions, one with a male lead and one with a female lead. Thanks for the feedback and the inspiration!

EDIT:
And welcome to the site!
PopTodd

Postby ingolee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Ghost or not the Hag is booked in Vegas in December. Could be another Tupac I guess, we live in brave new (scary) world. Thanks for the welcome!
ingolee

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:10 am

boy todd, I'd have to hear a woman nail it to believe it'd be better with her than a guy on vocals ... that might be because I hear you two channeling both the rolling stones and a whole plethora of old california country rock bands on this song. (the progression being soooo wild horses and the melody being so POCO from the inside album fodder .... )

which is all cool - I would roll with where it's going. I just really have trouble hearing a female vocal on it in my mind's ear.

unless of course, she's a rough tenor.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby zxyz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:30 am

I can see it going from a rough bedroom song to a polished master. Will take work and studio time of course .. but the heart and soul are in there .. As far as male or female lead vox, I'm going to reserve opinion and wait to see , except to say female maybe with a lot of good harmonies could work fairly well . I'm with the concensus of male lead tho . Looking forward to hearing more. :]
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Peevette » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:05 pm

I think a female singer could pull it off if she has the right 'tude and voice. Definitely need to work with the arrangement to give the tune the spark it needs to stand out from the rest.

Can't wait to hear the finished product, Pop!
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Return to Works in progress