Frank-Furter

This is the place to go for preliminary critiques if you're interested in getting some community feedback on improvements to your song BEFORE entering it into the Audiopolis Review System. Don't come in expecting nothing but praise - this is a place to get advice and learn about making your tunes better.

Frank-Furter

Postby zxyz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:31 am

FrankFurter.mp3
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 181 times
Song I laid-down on a 4 track in 1988 (needs vocals..any volunteers?) Any comments good or bad.. I can take it ..
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Re: Frank-Furter

Postby Peevette » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 am

zxyz wrote:
FrankFurter.mp3
Song I laid-down on a 4 track in 1988 (needs vocals..any volunteers?) Any comments good or bad.. I can take it ..

What you offered up to listen to was good, but way too short to really present your shredding talents, just saying. Is that the entire tune, or just a clip??
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby zxyz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks for listening Peeve. It's just a very short song, back when I used to lay down song ideas on tape for future development. U like or dislike? Actually it could be called just a very short song 'cause there are no rules in music :D I'm a shredder? Wow, thanks! That's quite a complement !!
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Peevette » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:28 am

zxyz wrote:Thanks for listening Peeve. It's just a very short song, back when I used to lay down song ideas on tape for future development. U like or dislike? Actually it could be called just a very short song 'cause there are no rules in music :D I'm a shredder? Wow, thanks! That's quite a complement !!

I liked what I heard, but, your short song is too short. If you want to call it a short song, that's fine, but basically what you have is more like a teaser than a tune. You're not giving enough of your git playing in order to consider it a complete tune.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby HUD » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Sounds like classic rock to me, like Rainbow or something...could do screamy Sammy Hagar vocals or growling ZZ Top, but right now, it's sounds like grain of an idea for a nice old school of hard rock tune. The reoccuring riff is worth some mileage, and you could do some shredding over top of the riff, maybe a "breakdown" where the drums actually leave the basic pattern and do the riff rhythm. Sounds like a good riff to put some vocals too. Liked the part the went into some other chords including some minors. Could come back around to that again, changing up the approach somehow.
Right now though, this just seems like a couple ideas jotted down with some nice licks in a couple places.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby zxyz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 am

Wow, thanks for the input you-all.. I really appreciate it. As soon as the ol'-funky-home-studio is back up and runnin' I'll start working on it :]
Thanx Peeve and Hud! :bow:
zxyz

Postby steban » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:16 am

A lively enough flow, zxyz, and yes, so short. Well, you can be too short, or you can be too long, for one's intended genre. I think it is short like a Ramones or more punk rock song as opposed to Van Halen, but it could be turned into a quick and witty song (a fast Ice Cream Man), and I agree it might sustain another guitar lead on top to give it more identity.

So in other words, don't let me near it! I think this is more HUD's style. But I think the real thing, the authentic 1988 recording, in and of itself is a musical item of interest that would be cool to use as is in a new mix with vocals. Everything timingwise is spot on, and there's pretty good stereo separation. Drums are not huge but good for the track.

A short song like this requires just three good quick verses and chorus or two, useful for something you want to get right to the point about, almost like a commercial or political ad or a long joke even.
everyone is in the middle
we all run at different speeds
everyone has special talents
everyone is special needs
steban

Postby zxyz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks for the input Stebs! I was kinda thinking the same thing about using the original 1988 recording because I don't think that I could re-create that today. Maybe a re-do ; splice-and-loop kinda thing?
It's hard for me to believe that song is 26 years old. geez.. I'm a geeser .. meh .. I just now thought of Keith Richards and Mick Jagger .. They're still rockin' .. I feel young again! :beer:
zxyz

Postby zxyz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:55 am

Thanks for the input everybody on this. :love: I'm slightly surprised though that I didn't get spanked for the audio quality on this one.. it is pretty ..eh ..sorta sub-par? .. Or is it acceptable? Honestly, when it's yours, it's so hard to judge an' be objective sometimes .. :(
zxyz

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:39 am

zxyz wrote:Thanks for the input everybody on this. :love: I'm slightly surprised though that I didn't get spanked for the audio quality on this one.. it is pretty ..eh ..sorta sub-par? .. Or is it acceptable? Honestly, when it's yours, it's so hard to judge an' be objective sometimes .. :(

well ... now that you mention it ..... (I was trying to keep my trap shut) ....

bass and guitars could use some sound work for sure but aren't totally bad at all ... drums on the other hand - are horrendous and completely suck in the sound department. they sound like exactly what they are. maybe worse cus they are digitally affected now. and for the life of me, I know I"ve tried to work with drum tracks like this to make them work but it just never really does. they need a redo.

and I guess, while I'm here I'll comment on the song a bit ... I agree with some others. it's a classic rock song with a passable riff that needs development, an arrangement job and probably some other new part. and it needs to be cut up, repasted and resorted to make it an attempt at writing a song vs jotting down ideas.

I'll never understand why guitarists don't see the future enough to set up verses and choruses in lots of 4s and then half them and rinse and repeat. basic songwriting structure stuff.

maybe it's the peyote.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby zxyz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:13 am

Thanx cj-- I didn't think i'd hear from U on this one. Yeah, the drumz are from a pre-programmed yamaha DD-5 (in 1988) with some cymbals added just newly from acoustica beatcraft. I had to ressurect the whole thing thru adobe audition upgrade to CS5.5. Cheerz!! Yahoo!! and thx 4 the input. . U wanna do vox on this one ? :eek: :beer: :rock: :bang: :bs: :love:

PS- yeh it's the buttons .

PS II- and yeh, you don't understand guitar players. It's ok :nice: .. we don't understand singers either ..
zxyz

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:57 am

I'll pass on the vox for this z .... nothing personal - just not so much into the style these days. been there 3 or 4 times and I'm either looking for something new I haven't done or something that ticks the special boxes for me in stuff I have already explored. I'd probably just be a bore with this. turn it into a cliche. I don't think your tune needs THAT. or I'd turn it on it's head 180 degrees and approach it sideways and you probably wouldn't dig that.

YOU sang that one song (we worked on .... I forget the name) pretty well. why don't YOU work something out vocally for it?
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby zxyz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:06 am

Ok -- sounds good to me .. when I finally get some 'studio'-alone time (which is rare these dayz) -- I'll work on it ... Cheerz .. ttyl //
-z
cj wrote: YOU sang that one song (we worked on .... I forget the name) pretty well. why don't YOU work something out vocally for it?

yeah, I really enjoyed that one.. I can't remember the name of it either.. lemme look around .. stay tuned for ps ..

ps--Ahh yeh.. good times.. here it 'tiz:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2554&hilit=record+store

(I was drunk when I did those lead and vocals) ..
zxyz

Return to Works in progress