[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Slapp Happy

Slapp Happy

Slapp Happy

Postby PopTodd » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Just picked this up:
I've heard their songs covered by Bongwater ("The Drum," which is on this collection) and also by Mazzy Star ("Blue Flower," which is not), and I have loved them both. So, I looked into the band at AllMusic and liked the descriptions that I read.
The album arrived yesterday and I've given it a first listen and made an initial impression: I love it.
The best description that I can give is that it's like Yoko Ono, if her voice were tolerable and if she were backed by The Soft Machine. But then, there are strong undercurrents of Kurt Weill running through a lot of it too (as you might expect from a German experimental pop band). And on certain songs, Dagmar's voice is positively thrilling.

Also, for those of you that it means anything to: members went on to work with and become a part of the bands Faust and Henry Cow.

Strongly recommended for those of you who are into the weird pop thing and all of the artists mentioned above.

Any other fans?
Here are a couple of songs:

this is an even weirder one:

PopTodd

Re: Slapp Happy

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:10 am

interesting stuff pop .... to be honest, I'm not exactly in love with her voice. and the recordings/productions/mixes seem to be all over the place from lo-fi heaven to just plain horrible. but the sense of melody and the instrumental talents are fabulous. nearly enough to make up for the negatives for me. there's loads of musicality in the stuff and it's easy to see how yoko-tolerant types might really grab on to the tunes - lots of textures and tension/release dynamics. lot's of pure guts in writing... easy to respect - and frankly, after listening to all of these, I'm surprised I like them so much ... cus I really have no use for her voice. that says a lot about the songs.

thanks for sharing man.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Re: Slapp Happy

Postby Peevette » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:28 am

Have to make a mental note to get back to this to listen!! Thanks for sharing, Pop....(feedback coming soon)
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Return to iMER 2011