[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Happy Ashtray

Happy Ashtray

Happy Ashtray

Postby PopTodd » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:40 pm

For fans of: Beck, Yo La Tengo, Guided by Voices, and Van Morrison.

http://happyashtray.com

He is so prolific, too. Every Friday, he sends out a free mp3 to his mailing list -- "Happy Friday," he calls it. And, it really is a treat to get every week.
A wonderful musician, excellent songwriter, and one of my favorite singers of all-time.

PopTodd

Re: Happy Ashtray

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:45 pm

really great production and the first song I'm hearing is very different but very familiar and just downright coolish good. in loads of ways, sloppy (in a good R&R way) but pleasant melody, great arrangement and pretty good performances across the instrumental front - especially excellent bassline and fill lines by this and that.

just really really good. like it .... thanks pop.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Peevette » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:31 am

Cool stuff...thanks for sharing Pop!
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby PopTodd » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Glad you're digging it. He also happens to be a friend of mine from middle school, who moved away before H.S.
Back in '05 I heard his stuff being played on the local music show on the radio, loved it, and when they announced that Happy Ashtray was John Swamy, I shook my head. Made contact with him soon thereafter and I wound up recording 2 tracks with him for my last record.
Gonna record my entire upcoming acoustic EP with him -- sessions next month.
Great guy and a great musician.

PopTodd

Return to iMER 2011