[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - mike welch and friends at the edwards OH

mike welch and friends at the edwards OH

mike welch and friends at the edwards OH

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:01 am

back in 05, I went back to northern NY for a reunion with my first ever band - an acoustic sorta vocal group. we played to a sold out house and sounded better than we did back in the day when we were kids. tho I haven't been back since, the other 3 guys get together and play a few times a year without me (how could they?)

this old opera house in a nearby village was refurbished a few years back and the one of us who's turned regional personality as a solo and band leader musician organized this show with loads of local talent. mike (welch) is a funny guy, a bit of a fumbling bumbling guy with a heart of gold and a few personality quirks that have helped him remain a young boy over all these years ... as well though, he's a great singer and absolute favorite on a stage.

back then, I did a whole lot of the mid-harms and lead vocals but mike picks up the slack in my absence just fine. flanked by the high harmonies of robert on the left and the steady leadership of lifelong best buddy stew on the right .... an old CSN song.

there's some other notable performances on the other links as well. one of another CSN favorite ... and probably a better performance and blend. see the changes - http://youtu.be/ADPsQlYIPpg

it's funny ... mike was a shy stuttering sort of recluse and he was determined to be a big fish in a small pond and he found a way to do that - this one shows his charisma and if you think you hear a bit of james taylor in his voice - you're right, he did all our JT songs back in the day cus he not only could clone him perfectly but then, he looked like him.

and one more of mike showing his versatility with what apparently is a local act.

http://youtu.be/ADPsQlYIPpg

these guys are my oldest dearest friends and we had such a great time back then - college coffee houses and small college town bars and such ... we learned so much from each other about music, performance and being in a band while we were teens. I miss 'em so much and wish I could be there for every reunion show. we all went on such different paths but I know all of us point to each other as our own biggest influences in music. hell, I wrote my very first song with the guy on the left in the first video - robert. (actually, I wrote one verse of HIS song, he's a few years older than the rest of us and sorta took me under his wing to tell me I could write)

I'm just massively proud to have been a part then and sometimes now ... small town musicians can be truly the best.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Return to iMER 2011