[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - We needed a reason.......

We needed a reason.......

Got a story behind your song? Be it technical or creatively speaking? Wanna talk about it? Do it. Here.

We needed a reason.......

Postby Peevette » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:21 pm

The thread in General Discussion inspired me to post this tune. I wanted to show Stebs how much a poem must be changed in order to flow as lyrics for a tune.

When Hoss and I met and decided to take a stab at having a life together, I had written a poem to express how the relationship felt to me. I felt the urge to have a song created to go with the poem, as a gift for Hoss. He seemed to appreciate music more than poetry. I turned to cj for some guidance and he offered assistance. He happened to have some ideas laying around waiting for lyrics and thought he may have a good tune for my poem. We had to do a huge rewrite of the poem so the lyrics would flow with the music, but we were able to edit without losing the vibe and intensity of the words I had originally written.

Unfortunately, I am unable to show the considerable amount of editing that was done to the poem because the computer that possesses the original is fried, and I have no access to that file. I seriously doubt cj saved that poem once we finished editing. (cj, if by some wonderful lucky chance you do still have it laying around somewhere, please post it here)

With help from cj, suede pudding and Krispy, this tune was put together and dedicated to Hoss.

This tune was my first attempt at putting my poetry into song and I'm quite proud of how it turned out and very grateful to my friends for helping me.

A Reason.mp3
(6.19 MiB) Downloaded 264 times

Reason-(lyrics)

For every thought there’s two that include you.
The memories all around me of how it feels knowing you
The depths of destiny are swimming through my mind.
A possibility of hope I felt that I would never find.

Chorus

There have been days when I wanted to crawl away and die
Looking deep inside for a reason, another season to survive
I found a reason, it’s the dawn to a long cold night
Through life dark hard side , I see the light.

To bathe in childish laughter, the connection of two souls
A smile for our good fortune, cus I might not be alone
You’re heart is dear to me, I never had these feelings before
Your touch shoots through me, its your passion I adore.

Chorus

Little is easy and the hard times make us strong
But you’re so close to perfect, and you make me feel I belong
With every thought, please know that I love you.
Holding on to whats really real and how it feels knowing you.

Final chorus
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Re: We needed a reason.......

Postby Krispy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:29 pm

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Peevette » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Peevette

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:10 pm

well peeve, I have them.

as well, a slight correction regarding "things" - not only was the song before kim's time (with us), gregg played it all and mixed and noz mastered it. you and me did the singing (I don't recall anyone else). another ever so insignificant alteration was that this music did have other lyrics before, but because I hadn't actually recorded the song, it was no biggie to part the words from the music. like I said, that doesn't matter much but it puts the story into full recollection status.

anyway, the original words you wrote for hoss followed by my official word doc (c) copy ...

With every thought... There is one that includes you.
Visual memories all around me Of how it feels, loving you.

The depth of the word "destiny" Swims through my mind.
The disbelief of a possible reality Of a hope, I felt I would never find.

There have been days When I wanted to crawl away and die.
Searched frantically through my mind Hard to find a reason, to survive.

I found a reason, A dawn to a long cold night.
A spark to a good side of life. Through a long dark tunnel, I see light.

To rejoice in silly laughter. The sensation of touching a soul.
Smiles for the good fortune That finally I might not be alone.

Your heart is dear to me. Your feelings and thoughts absorbed.
Your touch echos through me, Your urge for animal passion adored.

Nothing is perfect, as I hear them say. Hardness in life is to make us strong.
You are the closest thing to perfect, You have me feeling like I finally belong.

With every thought..... Please know that I love you.
Holding on the the memories of how it feels, to know you.

Not sure if I can handle The intensity of the idea of "we".
But I enjoy the goodness I feel When I realize what you mean to me.

I will hold on to you As long as I can
My reason to continue in life My soul, my mate, my man.

morphed into ....

the above lyric.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Peevette » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Peevette

Postby pharquartt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:49 am

now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby mistertroll » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:33 am

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby Peevette » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:33 am

Peevette

Postby steban » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:58 pm

[quote="Peevette]
Stebs, can you see how much the poem was chopped into bits and re-written to fit the music?[/quote]

Sure, peev, great example, too!

In the end the words must adapt to the music or vice versa. Most likely a little of each if there is a choice decided by the strength of each.

And even then your 'poem' becomes colored by the music. Hopefully it will be a good fit. Not always!

I remember this from way back. It is a very sweet rendition, I'm sure Hoss loved it.
steban

Return to Behind the Music (AR.com style)