[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Love Can Wash It Away

Love Can Wash It Away

Got a story behind your song? Be it technical or creatively speaking? Wanna talk about it? Do it. Here.

Love Can Wash It Away

Postby shankarji » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Attachments
chillum brothers - LoveCan_edit.mp3
(7.02 MiB) Downloaded 252 times
charas - Love Can Wash It Away_edit.mp3
(8.1 MiB) Downloaded 281 times
A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Re: Love Can Wash It Away

Postby Krispy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Well, quite a contrast between the two innit. Hard to believe they're from the same seed.

I think number one's main problem is that the verses containing really difficult lyrics share the upbeat lightness of the chorus. That soaring, poppy vibe works well on the ‘love can wash it away’ part but not so much on ‘misery and blood’, huh?
You say you were instrumentally limited, and some more organic (maybe even African) instruments might’ve deepened it with some authenticity, but yeah, the keyboard makes me think of Duran Duran or sunnit. :eek:
For some bizarre reason - and before I grabbed 'Love Can' - Peter Gabriel’s The Rhythm Of The Heat popped into my head as an example and reference point for the kind of setting your subject matter might need.

I immediately like number two much better as a context of the message it’s delivering. Agreeably darker and heavier, it examines ideas in images much more, rather than attempting to explain. The vocal is kind of unrepetent in its more detached coolness, the robotic nature seems to imply more anger and disgust than in its distant sibling. The crazy panning/effects at the end makes my head spin, that's a cool idea to use disorientation to somehow communicate the song's inherent distress.

Now, what might be velly interesting would be to see if you could combine the two, put the Rwanda lyric idea down on a similarly heavy bed track with a more minimalist, image-based, observational standpoint.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby shankarji » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:04 pm

A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Postby Chris K. » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:08 pm

you took a lot of acid back in the day, didn't you? :hippy: :hippy:
Chris K.

Postby shankarji » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:49 pm

shankarji

Postby Krispy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:09 pm

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Peevette » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Sorry it took me so long to get to listening to the submissions in these threads....(BTW, great idea Jaymz!!)

It really is hard to believe that these two tunes are from the same seed. Major contrasts, no doubt.

I do prefer the second version.

Thanks for sharing your story, shankji!
:hippy:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby jaymz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:31 am

As usual, I come up with a great idea in theory but bad in execution.

Many o women have repeated this to me over the years..

All my stuff seems to take abnormal amounts of time and require professional biographers.

But that's the price I pay to be so increidibly talented to everyone in my own mind. It's a reconciliation issue with the real world really.

nah, actually my huntin dog has heartworms and i've been busy with another website project for the past couple of weeks.. so music has taken a back burner.

It's about to get a goin again though. i can't wait!
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby nunani » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:39 am

Sit with Shank and hear all the adventures that he has to tell! I want to do this... some day...
losing signal...-.::_signal amps ready to engage.-:__
nunani

Return to Behind the Music (AR.com style)