[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Latest BRS offering from The Frontliners

Latest BRS offering from The Frontliners

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Latest BRS offering from The Frontliners

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:51 pm

Have a listen to this latest offering from us Frontliners and see what you think?

...and then there were none...
Ailwyn Rees

Re: Latest BRS offering from The Frontliners

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:23 am

I have lots to say about this ... but no time now - I'll get back to ya ailwyn!
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Ailwyn Rees » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:58 pm

...and then there were none...
Ailwyn Rees

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:54 pm

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Hey Ailwyn, I just listened to your new song, and it's great, and it's reggae! That is such a coincidence, not quite Matrix level, but nevertheless amazing.

First, I was instantly curious to hear a Frontliners reggae song, which you guys delivered with a really tasty rock guitar/bass/drum based arrangement full of sweet bass, groove inducing drums, upbeat lead guitar riffs, equally upbeat lyrics authentically sung, and harmonica! I was at first worried I would find myself mired in some point by point comparison, but after a few seconds that all dispersed as I was immersed in the music, in the song it specifically is beyond a genre.

I am not the technical listener, and certainly not the musical expert, especially when it comes to reggae, but I agree with what cj is saying about the general likability of the song, the repeatability of it, because it is sort of a narcissistic upbeat anthem, "I just want to be loved by the world...", and a valid theme for the human condition. And even though my reggae song was coincidentally touching heavily on that topic ("just want to feel in the life online" "we get no likes") with a social media angle, yours was much happier. I would say your song will play much better at parties, even though mine is not a downer by any stretch, just a little melancholy.

I've always appreciated the variety of Frontliner songs, the band line up being the common element, because the topics and styles jump around a bit. You are not Pink Floyd or the Police, not the Ramones nor the Beatles or the Grass Roots, but you have a solid body of work, perhaps not all as well produced as this song, and not completely predictable. That's what makes your songs interesting, and this is one I would certainly share with my friends.

In the blind review our two songs would do fierce battle in the reggae category, as each reviewer would be swayed by the familiar style and lingering vibe, and I would not be betting on the winner, as honestly I am quite impressed with both, and I'd say both would stand up well on larger stages without any further changes.
steban

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)