[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - militant lezbo

militant lezbo

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Re: militant lezbo

Postby HossVonLiederhosen » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:18 am

I think the Pharquartt-Hud collaboration should be called Frank Zappinatra.

Absolutely killer arrangement. What i really like is that this is essentially a blues progression, but has little hiccups and left turns in the first eight measures to keep you on your toes. Okay, it's a somewhat stock arrangement, not breaking any new ground. You do a masterful job of doing this stock arrangement, there's a ton going on, make that a ton and a half, but it never steps on the vocals, it always holds interest.

Vocally, i like it when a vocalist can lay back and lay back and just when you think the vocalist is too laid back, there's a little growl here and there to show that the vocalist still has more in the tank. Perfect lounge lizard delivery.

One thing about the lyrics has me scratching my head. I vaguely know to whom you're referring. The big band arrangement you were handed wasn't exactly the style of this artist. The two styles are a bit incongruous, but variety is the spice of life ah reckon...

This song brings up a moral dilemma for me. Welcome to the age of samples and MIDI. I'm going to assume these are samples entered into a keyboard. Were there any other real instruments besides keyboards in here? I try to make my recordings as real as possible. I've worked hard to play the big band swing instruments featured here, trumpet, trombone, saxes, clarinet. Each has it's own technique, it's own fingering patterns, it's own embouchure, it's own idiosyncrasies, it's own neuroses and psychoses. You can hit a piano key and a piano sound comes out, or an organ, or a trumpet, or a sax, all perfectly in tune and without bleeding lips. If i played this arrangement note for note, it would sound like 1920's Porky Pig music. AND YET, i don't have a drum kit, so hot drummers like Roxi think i'm a cheater when i have to use MIDI drums, and my keyboard is too noisy for recording, so my MIDI keys makes hot keyboardists like Pharquartt and Slywitt think i'm a cheater. Bottom line, if i consider this all to be keyboards, this is one hell of a keyboard performance.

The coolest dry martini music i've heard since Brian Setzer.
HossVonLiederhosen

Postby pharquartt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:50 am

now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby Krispy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:27 am

I'm surprised how you've all forgotten Hud's "other" side:

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby HUD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:15 pm

As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:03 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby HUD » Wed May 20, 2015 4:10 pm

bump
HUD

Postby Krispy » Wed May 20, 2015 7:14 pm

This web page is not available

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
Details
Krispy

Postby HUD » Wed May 20, 2015 7:18 pm

GEOCITIES went offline, we see. I'll have to upload another one when I get home tonight.
HUD

Postby HUD » Thu May 21, 2015 10:00 pm

HUD

Postby Krispy » Fri May 22, 2015 6:36 am

A classic indeed. Wonder if Julie Zobear still plays it.
Krispy

Previous

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)