[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - the Outsider

the Outsider

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

the Outsider

Postby Steve Soucy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:59 pm

I was just listening to this and thought I'd ask what some of you thought. Someone else wrote the lyrics and I did the rest.

the Outsider
Outsider.mp3
(4.96 MiB) Downloaded 297 times

I saw her in ragged yard sale clothes
Glasses resting on a freckled nose
Brown hair pulled back with bent up bobbie pins
Sittin’ ‘neath a tree before my class
With all her best friends laid out on the grass
Robinson Crusoe and Huckleberry Finn

She was writing in a tattered binder
While the other kids played tag behind her

She sits alone on the short school bus
Reads a lot but barely gets a C-Plus
She’s got no one to help or guide her
And she eats her lunch with her headphones on
Lost in a fog of dreams and song
Out of sight, out of mind, the outsider

Nobody said “hi” to her in the hall
She sat in the back against the wall
Happy to hide her old shoes underneath her desk
She looked out the window once or twice
Into pictures of another life
Painted by a heart full of loneliness

One by one my class read their assignments
While she bit her nails in nervous silence

Sometimes the driver forgets to pick her up
And she eats her lunch with her headphones on

She walked up slowly to the head of the class
Dropped her binder and everybody laughed
The paper shook as she read her scribbled poem
About an orphan child in a foster home

Her pen spilled her pain out into the light
My tears were the first to see the soul inside

Reads a lot but barely gets a C-Plus
Eating her lunch with her headphones on

ⓒ 2007 Robert George & Steve Soucy

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Re: the Outsider

Postby steban » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:58 pm

It has a Barry Manilow vibe and possibly borrows melodically in the verse. The lyrics are a bit of story, for a while I was afraid this was going to be a female Jeremy, but no, it is more like Mandy as a gangly teenager.

The story is not so bad, not too corny. Vocal delivery is tight, fairly emotive. The piano is tasteful, reasonable arrangement, just not a thrilling one.

You have a pattern forming for me where you have very straight, very Barry like pop songs with a slice of social import dolloped on top, Look Away, King and Queen of 6th Avenue (or wherever), sort of from the white male who is doing OK observing and empathizing with the less fortunate. I find them more tolerable that way.
steban

Postby Steve Soucy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:19 pm

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:00 am

kids stuff meets some country somebody meets christopher cross.

which is just too messed up and odd to be taken seriously as a straight up pop song or a country story-song.

to me, it's a kids show theme song. but it's 2 minutes too long to be that for the show .... for that, it needs to be trimmed to about a minute or 90 seconds. at the most, 2 choruses, 1 verse and the bridge. not in that order. for the soundtrack, include the whole song but for anything else, it's got loads of fat to be trimmed off.

btw - the show will have to be simple and somewhat shallow. geared to very young kids. the sophistication level is quite limited. (word-wise) and quite possibly it won't make the after school special lineup. maybe something cable oriented ... or local.

plus - it's such a downer. not something that will make the kids smile. not too uplifting man ... yes, there's a payoff in it but the motif is soooo dark that it'd be hardpressed to move the kids. they aren't interested in this sort of thing less disney colors it up or there's some big giant happy ending.

so - who's it for then?

musically, it's sound. instrumentally, it's tight. vocally, it's plain jane and accessible but no idol performance (and I don't mean AI). production is fine but has no edge. no standoutishness. all in all - it's a throwaway tune that is well done and shows ability and focus but otherwise, has no shelf life. it might hit home with some obscure show or documentary or something but it's not even close to being much of a good song. it leaves a saccharin taste in my mouth. contrived and crafted with nothing besides "project" in mind.

sorry. I don't doubt it felt right when it was being done but in retrospect, maybe you also know it doesn't have much general appeal?

you ought to. you're smart enough musically to know it.

maybe it just needs more cowbell or some naked looking lindsay lohan types.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:10 am

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby slywitt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:50 pm

I liked this. It's not 'original' but I'm sure that's not what you were going for. You've really got the modern-country sound down pat. It's reminiscent of a lot of 'Christian Pop'. I could easily see this making the playlist of some 'dove 66.6' station.

The change at 2:40 was quite satisfying.

I liked the singers 'every-man' kind of delivery and liked the thoughtful empathetic lyrics.

The lyricist was lucky to have you on this. I'm certain that you gave them what they were looking for...and then some.

It's white bread, but quite well baked.
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
slywitt

Postby Steve Ison » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Very smooth n musically reasonably well crafted kinda 80s MOR pop
The opening is so Christopher Cross
There's something definitely patronising in the bang-you-over-the-head twee sentimentality of the lyric-that makes me want to snikker rather than shed a tear in compassion at her plight..
The nature of the song means your attentions drawn to the lyric whether you want or not
It seems well meaning but ultimately condescending n clumbsy,like an artless trendy vicar giving a sermon from the pulpit..
The "Janis Ian -At 17" melody in the verse 'specially really exacerbates the ultra-sentimentality..

The "reads alot barely gets a c plus" bit has a quirky charm melodically (Not lyrically lol) and is definitely my favourite part of the song
Def not my thing tho really..
Keepin' it unreal
Steve Ison

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:29 pm

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby Steve Soucy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:31 pm

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby zxyz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Rarely has a song here almost moved me to tears, but this one was definitely close to doing just that. Really, Really good. Kudos. It could have been the lyrics, probably the combo of music + lyrics. The guy's got a nice relaxed singing style. Good piano (and strings (?) too, Steve. I really like it.
-edit- I just read above more reviews.. that's you singing sauce?
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Steve Soucy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:21 pm

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby zxyz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:50 pm

Yeah, I can be a softie, but I can be an asshole too. Look at some of my other reviews.. :twisted:
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Steve Soucy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:05 am

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby zxyz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:19 am

You're welcome. :fu:
zxyz

the Outsider

Postby IvanoFFrobe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:47 pm

In the original post you mentioned loss of quality.. to be honest it could help, specially considering the era these were written
I thought the quality as fine if there was any degrading I never noticed, but you read it really well

___

: the BEST program for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!
IvanoFFrobe

Next

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)