[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Christmas Everywhere

Christmas Everywhere

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Christmas Everywhere

Postby steban » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:04 am

This is a song I first wrote many years ago as part of a book about a rock band from central Florida called Boznia and the Skaggs. The book was never written, the imaginary band broke up, and this song was just a tune in my head and some words somewhere, who knew where anymore.

So I remembered a couple major lines and the general gist, so out of the blue I reconstructed the lyrics and figured out the melody on the guitar. I was amazed how simple it was, but probably because the song never solidified before.

This is singer/songwriter style, I could possibly perform this live. It is a little sadly serious. And I think cj is onto something, that I might be better suited for this really, almost acoustic format rather than my more experimental rock explosions, so this time it might not be all bad.

And I realize I just missed Christmas, it's always something!

christmas everywhere 2.mp3
(3.41 MiB) Downloaded 221 times

Christmas Everywhere by Steve Bancroft

somewhere children gather round a Christmas tree
and unwrap pretty packages, their hearts all filled with glee
yet elsewhere children open a gift they’ve got before
wrapped in ribbons of bloody bandages, the gift of life in war

so why do men let hatred, for what else can it be?
control their hearts and blind them to pain and misery
that seeds of strife and anger, sown for centuries
and no one’s God will give them the one true gift of peace

I’m sure he tried to tell us all, but words got in the way
and wise men editorialize what they think he’d say today
it isn’t so malicious, it creeps in like a fungus
contaminating the message and spreading wild among us

so let go of the hatred, that cancer in your soul
look at all the children whose lives have paid your toll
all it takes is doing one thing in your power there is to do
lay down your guns and start talking, see he wants the same things too

I know this sounds too simple, you can’t change the world, they say
because if it were that easy it would have happened yesterday
and as true as it is it will never be done until you decide to agree
but do this and I swear it will be Christmas everywhere
steban

Re: Christmas Everywhere

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:48 am

it's NOT my fault. don't blame me.

but I'll tell ya what, I'll start a fund ... to buy stebs a melody. I'll start it out with a "heh" payment of 50 cents.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:50 am

I just listened to this for the first time after reading your comment about it in the Tahrir thread. Truth is I had maxed out on your stuff and just didn't feel like listening when you first posted this.

This is definitely more listenable-to than most of your other stuff because of its simplicity. I was hoping to like it because of that, but the melody just leaves me flat. Nearly the entire time, you're just singing the fifth of the chord -- it's just not very interesting, stebs. Given the simple chord bed, you could do so much more with the melody; I wish you'd give the melody the same attention you give your lyrics.

You talk a lot about the importance of lyrics to you. You have a very literal lyrical approach which doesn't really work for me because I prefer poetry that leaves some things to the imagination. Songs that preach make me feel like I'm not part of the process, and me being such an egomaniac, I wanna be in on the deal ;). This kind of lyric just makes me think, "yeah, of course" -- I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of your audience doesn't want war and certainly doesn't want innocent children being hurt, so I feel like your words are wasted. Maybe try channeling the emotion behind your idea into something less literal, something that makes your listener dwell a bit longer on the words. At least try to come up with something that flows better because some of the lines sound so stilted when sung. I might feel differently about the lyric if the melody were such that the lines flowed better, but the melody and/or lyric has gotta change to make this worth repeated plays for me.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby steban » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:05 pm

steban

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:39 pm

study ron sexsmith.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:58 am

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)