[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Montcoal

Montcoal

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Re: Montcoal

Postby zxyz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:46 am

Damn. Tough room. I wrote the song, played all the instruments, programmed the drum machine with every beat. Yes I'm real sorry that it's a drum program and that I looped it but wtf. ? And mixed/mastered the song too. I'm real glad that it got a lot of kudos for stebs, but .. yeah, .. tough room. :mad:
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby steban » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:33 am

steban

Postby zxyz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Thanks Stebs! I did put a lot of work into this one.

I know that the bass stinks, It's a homemade instrument with 10-year-old strings on it, and the drums.. well .. who can expect anything from a cheap-o drum program? heh. I think what got me was when they said that my guitar sounded bad. (..but, afterall, it was only 2 people .. cj and wade..) the rest of the reviews/critiques were pretty good.. I just had a rough day yesterday, and it bit me in the ass to read negativity at the end of the day. All is good! And yeah! It was great working with you on this collab. One of the most enjoyable collab efforts I've ever been in. I would really like to improve on this song by inviting a real drummer and bassist, but.. I haven't heard any volunteers knocking at our door yet.. maybe we should advertise :] And yes, before putting it on youtube and garageband I definitely agree that we do need to get a real drummer and a real bass player to replace the not-so-great tracks that I have in there. It would improve the sound immensely. It's hard trying to do it all yourself. I'm exhausted. I'm gonna go get a cold one..
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 pm

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby zxyz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm

zxyz

Postby charvie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:53 am

Finally got a chance to listen to this on some decent speakers and it's got alot of potential, I love the guitar riff and the overall package, and you did a pretty darn good job of pulling a mix out of this. Z, the guitar riff is a very carrying riff but the tone doesn't do it justice. It sounds like your plugging into a processor and running it direct which really gives it no body, the guitars should be big and carrying with this tune because the guitar melody is the tune. The bass is fine with me, it does what it's supposed to do, as do the drums. I suck at programming drums too, so I really can't critique them. Vocally it has melody, but way too many words that I really can't understand. There's alot of room for some oooohs and ahhhhhs in the background, and I keep waiting for them but they never appeared. I heard some talking towards the end of the tune and I think it was an opportunity missed for a nice guitar outro. Z you have some chops, I think you should use them here. Overall, I really dig the vibe musically and as I said earlier, and I think you did a great job mixing what you had man. Give a quick listen to VH's Dreams and you'll see what I mean by carrying.

Well done guys
Light a man a fire and he's warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
charvie

Postby zxyz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:06 am

Thanx for the input Charv. Appreciate it!
zxyz

Postby Jay » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:36 pm

I won't comment much about the production on this. There's been a lot of talk on this board lately of production, and it suffices to say the production on this ain't great. The main word I'd use to describe the production is disjointed. The elements sound very disconnected, and with a straight-ahead rocker like this, it works much better, IMO, if it sounds like a band playing together in one place at the same time.

Despite all the obsession over the I V vi IV progression, you actually do break it up which I appreciate. I think you have some effective changes in there. Melody is okay, though I'm distracted by the lag in stebs' vocal. I think the chorus melody is effective and could be quite an earworm with a stronger vocalist.

Lyric works pretty well. I thought it might come across as heavy-handed given the discussion in another thread about the topic. But in the context of this song, I think the lyric works.

My biggest beef about this song is the arrangement. That guitar is incessant. I just really wanted a break from it. That break could come from dropping it down or dropping it altogether at certain points. I think you should just cut it out of one of the verses altogether. The overall impact is that this is a really non-dynamic tune -- my ear gets tired on repeated listenings because of the constant (somewhat abrasive) guitar.

This could be turned into a serviceable song, but this version sounds like a rough demo at best.

P.S. FE(veryone's)I, there's no good reason to upload 320kbps mp3s. There might be a good reason to do so if you're uploading an extremely dynamic classical or jazz piece, but with pop/rock tunes, there isn't nearly enough dynamic range to merit encoding at such a high bitrate; you simply won't hear a difference beyond a certain point. All you end up with a large file which takes longer for people to download. I'd say 160kbps is plenty, and if you feel like you have a particularly dynamic tune 192kpbs might be appropriate (if you can actually hear a difference), but I haven't heard a single song on this site ever that would justify anything beyond 192kbps. It's the engineering geeks with golden ears and equally golden listening environments (i.e., none of us) that can maybe hear a diff with the type of stuff we do here.
Prunes!
Jay

Postby steban » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks for all your insights, Jay. Really helpful ideas to consider beyond the general production issues, such as getting everybody to sound like they're in the same room, always a good thing for me. Well I guess there are many examples where it doesn't hold true, but it is always a challenge to achieve that when you really aren't or you are but you are not precisely on the same page. We were trying to get there, and this mix seemed closer than our others to date.

It's a good idea to have a break to the guitar, I look back to the original acoustic ditty z put up, it had the basic song going on, and it would be interesting to try to just use that in the back for a verse, not even replay anything, just some careful editing. I think there are a lot of rock songs that never let up, and I agree that format can bore me, I guess I'm a Metallica Black Album fan, not so hardcore. Not to say this is that style, but the principle is the same.

At this point, the song has a credible shape and substance, and only with feedback from folks like you and everyone here can we decide what we might do next incrementally first. I think lots of songs benefit immensely with subtle changes, not even going to the point of a major overhaul. Will a tune up on MC take care of the flaking paint? Not at all, but it will run better.
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 am

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 am

Prunes!
Jay

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:25 am

*meow*

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:21 pm

*squeak*
Prunes!
Jay

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:38 pm

*and I was like, wottehvah*

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby HUD » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:44 pm

As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

PreviousNext

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)