[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - I'm Just an...

I'm Just an...

The old AudioRefugee Review Forum - where we kept the fire burning for a few years while we were building the Audiopolis Review System and website.

Re: I'm Just an...

Postby mistertroll » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:57 am

This should auto-play when opening audiopolis.org.

Well, maybe not, but it is a really cool representation of what we are all about, and we should find a way to feature it somehow.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby zxyz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:53 am

Good idea, Troll! Auto-play when site clikked. Yeah! :thumb:
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:01 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby mistertroll » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:37 am

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby HUD » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:14 pm

seems appropriate that this should go here.
AR Radio.mp3
(2.48 MiB) Downloaded 408 times
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby zxyz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:55 am

Radio-Hosts lookout. There's a new Boy in town.
zxyz

Location: Way out there somewhere ... maybe a parallel universe or something somewhat similar ..

Postby Krispy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:59 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby HUD » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:28 am

HUD

Postby HUD » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:31 am

one thing occurs to me in regard to the previous autoplay discussion. It might not be too obtrusive or obnoxious to have just that final "audio refugee, audio refugee" vocal portion autoplay...certainly better than the rock guitar thing that Garageband had.
HUD

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:47 am

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Found this, made me snigger a bit.

Reviews of I’m Just An...[on Garageband.com]

I'm hooked!
Interesting mix of instruments for the intro - the song kinda drifts in, but its engaging. Hang on, "young hopefuls and a few old farts", I see where we're going now (they're singing my theme song, or maybe swan song) Its very much tongue in cheek stuff, but has resonance and truth in it as well. A light and fluffy production matched by the lyrics and instrumentation. Good fun, keep taking the tablets my friends - I know I am.
- philmead from Bristol, United Kingdom on 21Apr2010

It's only my opinion
I can hear nice guitar,great percusion in intro,pretty good drums,professional arrangment.But something wrong with the vocals in the mix(they sound brightless).
- THEGIANTFIELD from Kharkov, Ukraine on 18Apr2010

nice I like this sh*t
nice but it would be better if you visited spider leg clip on garageband.com and maybe tell me something I cant already hear from the chicks I meet
- kdover from Charleston, South Carolina on 11Apr2010

Interesting.
The song is very original. It is a lot like a song you would hear in the past. The vocals mesh very well. The instrument playing is very good too.
- janeenpeckford from Canada on 10Apr2010

Keep it simple....
Living on the ceiling start. Vocals are very conventional. Well done but no surprises. Like the overall track.
- dp_b1 from London, United Kingdom on 7Apr2010

not feeling this
vocals flat, lyrics not interesting, sounded like a an attempt at 80's rock. track all over the place and the transitions are not good.
- ftudor123 from Brentwood, Tennessee on 7Apr2010

world music
Nice overall feel here in the intro. Not sure about the lyrics. the track kinda goes down hill abit for me as it runs through. Has some nice influences though. Kinda enjoyed it.
- alderdice from Palmerston North, New Zealand on 3Apr2010

:(
I did not like the vocals at all. Consequently, it made me realize I did not like the song, as I did not like the vocal patterns, melody or sound overall. It was well recorded and clear.
All too clear.
- MintyG from Surrey, British Columbia, Canada on 2Apr2010

I feel like I'm lost in the outback
Is that a didgeridoo in the intro?....cool. Very weak chorus. I liked the vocal effect at 1:05. The trumpets (keys) in the bridge at 1:46 have to go, though. Overall this song was very average.
- tplommer from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on 30Mar2010

Head East
Thats what I think of when it plays but the guitar progressive slide thing should maybe be reconsidered and if you consentrate on simplifying the harmony and throwing in a stop or two you might have a nice hit
Work on the Harmony and simplification.
- MikeWhitlock from Vancouver, Washington on 25Mar2010

ummm
Sweet hand percussion and lead guitar at the start. I wish the sound had stayed on that path. But then it turned into 80's hairband rock. I really don't dig the vocal at 1:10. Good production though.
- smudgepudge from Lewisville, Texas on 25Mar2010

Not so good...
Vocals are not good, song is pretty predictable and lack originality. Back to the drawing board guys...
- aroot01 from Minneapolis, Minnesota on 24Mar2010

Double lead vocalists
Sitar sounding guitar part in the intro morphs into power chords. Next thing you know, it's a party band doing it's thing. Fun! Shows range and dynamics. I'm liking this one a lot. Double lead vocals is nice.
- highway17blues from Summerville, South Carolina on 24Mar2010

Amateur mixing with a good effort
The bad: The guitars drop volume when they go from the clean intro to the distorted verse. The vocals are not lined up, and the production on them varies from crystal clear, needing reverb, to dirty, almost with a fuzz box, depending on the person singing. The instruments aren't leveled overall, and aren't "together."

The good: The performers have a lot of energy, and the idea of changing out singers is really good. The arrangement of different instruments that aren't each in the whole song lends well to the dynamic feel of the vocals - a good pairing of ideas.

Good ideas - the execution needs some work to highlight them!
- SHIFT12 from Daphne, Alabama on 23Mar2010

persia meets rock
interesting influence in the beginning of the song ,and throughout ,... unexpected ...
this song almost has an experimental rock feel to it...you get points for trying something different for sure....the danger is sometimes these things can spin out of control like a bad lab experiment....
this tune was not my thing style wise...for pop rock...but its certainly NOT the worst song by a long shot on here i have reviewed..

talent here is in the voices and the musicality of the song...nice job
- grantrosen from Long Beach, California on 22Mar2010

another demo
This is poor recording, I can see they were trying to get a story out but really not tracked well and sloppy on the changes
- Billysvoice from Santa Monica, California on 19Mar2010

Motherlode of exiles
Wow. This sounds like it had a cast of hundreds, and half of them were the writers.

A lot going on. Possibly too much - if you took a slice of the song every thirty seconds and developed that as a track in itself you'd have half an album by most artists.

Perhaps that's the point - the refugee hook (which is very catchy by the way) hints that this is intended to be a melting pot song, and the first few bars hint at something really dark, dangerous and exciting. Thereafter there just seemed to be too many clashing voices: metal chugging guitar, jazz doodling synth horns, a variety of vocals sort of like rice and peas, refried beans, curry, pasta and steak and kidney pudding all on the same plate.

So some great performances, that nice central hook and the fusion intention seems sound, just a little overspiced perhaps?
- Rattleshark from Bedford, United Kingdom on 19Mar2010

I Like the Drums at the Beginning
I like the srums at the beginning. This sounds like something from the Middle East or Egypt. Very entertaining! Have you ever heard of Tuvan throat singing? Wow, nevermind! (like Nirvana)
- djcavalier from Bowie, Maryland on 19Mar2010

ok
Production is ok, verging on a bit foggy. Normally like to know the singers are singing, but the vocal overlays are annoying. At the 1:45 mark there is a troubling change in the song. Not too certain it helped?
- BrianMason from Canada on 19Mar2010

Sounds like a commercial
Kinda "jinglish" musically. More than one singer on lead? This almost cool but.. hmm.. can't understand any lyrics and seems there are some instruments out of tune or something. Kinda chaotic actually. Interesting breakdown. Meditational. You definitely get kudos for originality.
- Liaison76 from Nashville, Tennessee on 16Mar2010

Great Sound
It sounds great in my ears. There is a great vibe to the song that i can't explain. Nice nice vocals and harmonics.
- QuarterVoice from Sundsvall, Sweden on 16Mar2010

HUGE SOUNDSCAPE!
I thought Indiana Jones was gonna swing out of my speakers during that jungle-esque quasi-acoustic intro, and then you really shifted gear into an 80's rock track.

Really different song, well performed and produced. Really good vocals and harmonies, and that cool break/bridge was another HUGE surprise - if you guys aren't all over the globe, you're on at least three continents.

Ambitious track, very much enjoyed!
- MaestroDog from Detroit, Michigan on 15Mar2010

Intro is a turn off
the vocals need to be louder. This sounds country/classic rock and will get bad ratings in this category.
- EthanTyler from Virginia Beach, Virginia on 15Mar2010

Nice Intro:
Love the bass intro. Guitars rock and the harmony complements the lead vocals. Lyrics are real and the dynamics are nice. I get a Spanish, Indian, jazz/country feel.
- SlyG from Olney, Maryland on 14Mar2010

awesome
great intro...but kinda weird with the song....but sounds great with the versatility...keys sound cool...def original...lol
- orderofthefallen from Jacksonville, Florida on 14Mar2010

Chanting monks get funky, shake booty
Is this the Joan Jett song that didn't make onto the album? The female vocal, wronged lover 70's anthem style is not one of my favorites, so I can't do an unbiased review. If they were singing about Middle East refugees living liked penned vermin for decades, oppressed and longing for freedom, I'd be interested.
- organ_grinder from Chicago, Illinois on 9Mar2010

not bad
Cool intro! Catchy vocals and overall sound, but I think slightly better mixing/production would help this song to stick in my head.
- JarrodM from Burbank, California on 7Mar2010

Interesting
Interesting intro with the use of different sounds. Nice use of the back vocals, they sound very tight. The phone sound of the voice at 1:15 add a new texture to the song. You done some effort in the arrangements for shure because there is a lot of contrast in this song. Interesting!
- MorningVelvet from Montréal, Quebec, Canada on 5Mar2010

What does this song want to be?
Interesting middle eastern feel to start the song, but the jump to the pop sounding verse is a bit jarring. The chorus jumps again. The transitions just aren't smooth. The performance is competent, but you'e left with the impression this song can't make up it's mind.
- buzzhummer from Niagara, Ontario, Canada on 5Mar2010

Not too shabby
Very interesting track, its got kind of an old school vibe, I like that. It got a little weird in the middle, but its got a good hook.
- rickbokor from Rancho Palos Ver, California on 26Feb2010

vodoo song ?
Voice needs work, old style singing. Poor mix and performance, back vocals need lot's work. Playing and melody old style, repetitive. Do another song.
- VICM from Montreal, Quebec, Canada on 24Feb2010

Cool entry
Sound quality was poor could be the upload in the system, Production was ok beat as well,
Sound was just not thier.
- JoseMadera from Pembroke Pines, Florida on 24Feb2010

Rank All-time: #17,741 of 20,836 in Pop Rock
Best #238 of 448 on 25May2010
Any questions? Click here for an explanation of recent changes, including changes in your song rank.
Awards! Best Drums in Pop Rock, week of 29Mar2010
Most Original overall, week of 22Mar2010
Most Original in Pop Rock, week of 22Mar2010
Most Original in Pop Rock, week of 12Apr2010
Krispy

Postby zxyz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Hmm, I'd all but forgotten this way-cool song. We should do another 'un ..
Thanks for posting / bumping this up Kim :thumb:
zxyz

Postby Krispy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:02 am

Krispy

Postby zxyz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:29 am

zxyz

Postby zxyz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:47 am

Audio_Refugees_All_Star_Band_I'm_Just_a2.mp3
(9.13 MiB) Downloaded 222 times
I just had to do it .. brighten it up a bit .. Make it sparkle and shine .. Re-master a master (I know cj.. you hate me doing this ..) Adobe CS.5 has some amazing stuff ..
Maybe too bright .. maybe not enough bass .. maybe too much in your face .. dunno.. just screwing around .. trying to update an old song to sound newer and more exciting .. did it on a worknight w/o much sleep so not perfect .. plus this doesn't work well w/ mp3 as it would wave but anyway here tiz ..
zxyz

PreviousNext

Return to REVIEWS! (Pre-Audiopolis Review System Days)