[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Stay of Execution 2015

Stay of Execution 2015

A place where new and existing members can put links to their music without asking for specific song reviews. A musical hello.

Stay of Execution 2015

Postby Krispy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:57 pm

This is a song I did with Stephen and Gregg some time ago which Stephen and I recently decided was a good tune with very sucky drums. I have become addicted to Addictive Drums again so thought I'd redo them.
It was an absolute bloody nightmare because the original drums were not locked to the grid but done 'by hand' using my (lack of) skill and judgement. So I had to shrink some new drum loops and cut up the track to match. You may hear a few slips and slides therefore and that is called 'Jazz timing'. :mrgreen:

I think there are some drum mix issues which I may well fix when I've stopped being sick to death of it. Opinions welcome as ever.

Stay of Execution new drums.mp3
(7.94 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Re: Stay of Execution 2015

Postby steban » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:25 am

The song idea and performance are very good rock. The skipping in the drum seems to be impacting the vocals as well in this version, Krispy. I can still hear the song, but I'd try to correct that.

I like the melody, how it starts sort of jazz band on the verse, and then turns definitely into solid rock in the chorus, and that includes that universal view bridge or second chorus with some rather progressive Beatlesy grand harmonies. The guitar bridge was so classicly strong, too!

The bass line is out front the entire song, just playing so prettily. The song felt like it needed a little more top end in the vocal range. I boosted in the equalizer and felt it was a little less muddy.

But there is a song here that has come alive. A very big production, too. It has some wild chord changes that seem almost impossible, and yet there they are. That's something you and Stephen both were pretty good at and not averse to trying. This one has some seriously inspired parts. Another keeper!
steban

Postby Krispy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:05 pm

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby steban » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:14 am

Is it that bad unchopped? You couldn't stretch it instead? Is it possible to paste over a new note? You have probably tried all that, but I'm thinking out loud. That NIN guy could probably do something tricky.
steban

Return to Introducing .... you and your music!