[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - Distorted Penguins

Distorted Penguins

Distorted Penguins

Postby stephen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Punk/Ska band.

Day late and a dollar short as far as their sound, but these boys are talented and good at it for sure. Not my style at all, but I recognize good talent when I hear/see it.

I started thinking about some great acts that came out of my hometown area, and these guys jumped out at me, as well as a few others, which I will share later on. Hell, Kix came out of my area as well. In fact, Stevie Whiteman (Kix) is giving guitar and vocal lessons back there now. Heh.

These kids (Distorted Penguins) are from my home town originally. Well, they're not kids anymore, but they were when I knew them. Pretty tragic and triumphant story to the band. The original singer died about 4 years after they formed, and the kid had a lot of talent. A really good singer for the style, especially the slower stuff. Most of us locals involved in the scene figured the band would dismember, but they didn't. They pressed on and continued and frankly got even better.

They've played with many major acts over the past 13 years... ...they are really big in the college scene arena. I seem to remember them opening for the Violent Femmes at some point.

Anyways, check 'em out.
I close my eyes and I feel the fear.
stephen

Re: Distorted Penguins

Postby Peevette » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:09 am

Wasn't able to listen to a darned thing; couldn't check them out.....
:tard:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby mistertroll » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:14 am

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:58 am

was hard to listen man ... the gb player buffers like mel tillis ... purevolume plays but is so lofi and riddled with low bit rate phase problems.

but from what I heard, I actually like 'em a little .... not really punk at all and only touching on what I recall as ska .... more straight forward pop rock with horns. nearly classic rock actually .... wouldn't say they were extraordinarily talented but they were probably a whole lot of a good time live.

so what's with the tribute to dave thing? he a founder, songwriter who died or something?
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Peevette » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:24 am

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby zobear » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:51 pm

I searched for them on YouTube. Cool music - very ska/pop. Checked out Cloud 9 & Little Bit Closer. I think it's pretty sweet when ska bands do the horns thing...seems to show a lot of understanding for the genre. Thanks, Stephen!
zobear

Postby Krispy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Listening in headphones, it's all a bit bright, especially the vox. Like the Penguins really are distorting.
The vocalist is straining a little too often for comfort, but other than that not a bad listen.

You didn't fancy doing a poll, Goth? :eek:
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby shankarji » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:12 pm

I listened to the two tracks on Garageband and to Cloud 9 on YouTube.

First off, this is by no means anything to do with ska, so I don't know where that comes from. Sounds more like Blink 182 to me and they ain't bad...in fact they're pretty good...but ska? No way!
A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Postby zobear » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Cloud 9 was most definitely not ska (hence the pop modifier ;) ), but I could hear some Fishbone/Skankin' Pickle-type influences in Little Bit Closer.

Didn't listen to the GB tracks.

zobear

Postby shankarji » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:05 am

Attachments
charas - the whitehouse effect.mp3
(4.91 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Postby Steve Soucy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:40 am

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:21 am

ahhhh then, so we all agree. stephen couldn't differentiate between ska and spoiled toejam pie if his life depended on it, which for all we know - might be a factor at some point in some way for some reason.

ya never know.

gibby ... no rules really ... not even for you. we all just use a little bit of judgment - if it feels like you're overstepping, stop. if it seems like it's going good, stop. no .... wait .... just carry on. just try to be awesome ok?
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Krispy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:36 am

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby shankarji » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:43 am

shankarji

Return to iMER Feb 22 - 28, 2009