CIA

CIA

Postby stephen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:47 pm

It's the 8th, and I didn't see a spot for it, so I will post here.

I know most of you are aware of Circles in Autumn, and for most, its not your bag, but Michael called me last week with some cool news.

They are currently being looked at by a very well known label, that Mike would prefer I not mention at this time.
I think this is awesome for my bud.

http://www.myspace.com/circlesinautumn

"Bullet" is a more commercial tune if you decide to check them out. Metal man yeah!

Stephen
I close my eyes and I feel the fear.
stephen

Re: CIA

Postby Chris K. » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:13 pm

metal is not really my thing, but these guys really are good ...
Chris K.

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:03 am

don't think for a second that all of us old folks don't have a love for the sound ya dweeb ...

I dig this - just like I did the one you played keys on .... I really appreciate the singers voice and his melody choices in bullet .... a much harder edge than satellite down (jaymz) and I believe this guy with his broader range - and ability to add some balls in the lower register is a real edge that jaymz's singer might never have.

then again, there's the possibility that the higher voiced "boy" might strike a chord with the ladies but then again, by and large, the girls sorta stay clear of all harder edged stuff ...

all the other aspects are very solid and luckily the metal style seems to be a bit more lenient than pop metal in what is dated and what isn't ...

all songs touch briefly on hooks of many sorts ... bleed alone - the chorus bleeds the old AIC type of treatment without sounding like a copycat.

The system - with it's prog rhythm and bass ... coupled with the bark and the great melody deserves the light of day. a great job of capturing the vocal whisper too!

with burn it down, the band seems to have achieved a signature sound without each song sounding boringly similar. respect.

pro recording. great guitars. as I had told you originally, the barking doesn't bug me at all on this ... and there's been plenty of times that I have hated that with a lot of bands ... (and yeah, I know we did it with PMB and NoMo ... you know I was proving that it wasn't that hard to do ...) but I nearly like it with this guy ....

even some solo guitar action - and for this particular style in this day and age, that's not something that regularly happens. even brought melody into the parts ...

great indie band. I wish 'em fabulous luck ... in fact, I'd like to talk to them about inclusion on the "new" iNt ... shoot me an email address please.
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby stephen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:43 pm

I will let Mike know Cj. I will give him your email address. I'm not sure how interested they would be, considering a label is sniffing them, but it wouldn't hurt to ask by any means.

You might even want to hit him up at their Myspace page. Through there, you can find Mike's profile. He is the guy to talk to. Tell him I sent you.
stephen

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:33 am

I'm not sure why they'd want major labels to look at them stephen ... what do they have to offer the band?

and besides these recordings, what has the band shown them? out of curiousity ... have they sold cd or DL units? of what? and how many? and have they toured? where? with what numbers?

maybe everything I've read and heard as of the last few years is wrong .... what's the deal? majors don't go after bands unless bands have already proven themselves anymore. it's not like they're willing to develop new artists ... unless maybe the band is willing to sign everything over and work for free ...

sorry man, fess up with some details - you can't come in here and say "blah is blah but I can't talk about it". that's like grade school girly antics ... "I have a secret and I'm not telling, johnny is la la and betty is blahhin'" .... you don't have to give label names but if you're gonna talk the talk - walk the walk.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby stephen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:49 am

cjdenecia wrote:I'm not sure why they'd want major labels to look at them stephen ... what do they have to offer the band?

You need to ask Mike this stuff man.

and besides these recordings, what has the band shown them? out of curiousity ... have they sold cd or DL units? of what? and how many? and have they toured? where? with what numbers?

They play back and forth between NC and SC. Not much touring, but the shows they play are what I call the "smart" ones. Many House of Blues shows opening for Major Acts (this is most likely where they have been scouted from, but that's my guess). Been on various compilation albums. Guitar endorsements, etc.

sorry man, fess up with some details - you can't come in here and say "blah is blah but I can't talk about it". that's like grade school girly antics ... "I have a secret and I'm not telling, johnny is la la and betty is blahhin'" .... you don't have to give label names but if you're gonna talk the talk - walk the walk.

I have no secret other than the label name bro. The only other thing is I know they have just finished their next album and according to Mike, the label hasn't heard it yet. That's probably their "worth" right there. Tight, polished sound, and a completed brand new album that all a label has to do is promote.
stephen

Postby Chris K. » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:49 am

maybe everything I've read and heard as of the last few years is wrong .... what's the deal? majors don't go after bands unless bands have already proven themselves anymore. it's not like they're willing to develop new artists ... unless maybe the band is willing to sign everything over and work for free ...

I won't say "everything" you've "read and heard as of the last few years is wrong," but I will say a lot is.

Majors do go after bands that have yet to be proven. I personally know a handful just in the past five years. Sales, shows .. none of that is nearly as relevant as you might think, or perhaps wish to be true.
Chris K.

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 am

Chris K. wrote:

I won't say "everything" you've "read and heard as of the last few years is wrong," but I will say a lot is.

Majors do go after bands that have yet to be proven. I personally know a handful just in the past five years. Sales, shows .. none of that is nearly as relevant as you might think, or perhaps wish to be true.

we won't be having a major discussion on this here probably ... but yeah chris - I know they still do on occasion, when they can get that completely fair contract signed .... you know, the one where they promote and back unknown commodities, for first borns and all that ....

here's hoping CIA ain't that dumb.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby shankarji » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:01 pm

I feel so cold after listening to that...don't know how anybody get's anything out of nonsense like this, but I guess some must do.
A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Return to iMER Feb 8-14, 2009