posting music in iMER ....

Have you heard some independent music you love so much you gotta share? Do it here. (please post NEW music in the appropriately dated subforum)
Forum rules
Leave the big names out please, let's keep it independent.

(please post NEW music in the appropriately dated subforum)

Re: posting music in iMER ....

Postby Stevo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:43 pm

My impression was that there was an overwhelming amount of referals offered up. Got the feeling there was much more being recommended than being checked out, which is why I have been holding back on any more suggestions.

It only takes minute to list many favorite indie artists - it takes much more time to give them all an adequate listen.

Example: I don't how many times over the years I raved about Phideaux since discovering him on GB. How many people here have ever actually listen to him? Only one, as far as I know (pharq).
If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something.
Stevo

Postby stephen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Most musicians only care about themselves. That's the sad truth about it. Especially the younger crowd. Many look at anything else as "competition." That's part of why I hated the GB review system so much. Too much bias.

Christ my first post at GB as lustforeden, was bitching about their "contest." I was never a forum guy. Guess it grew on me. But even these past few months, I haven't really had too much interest in them. Not like I use to anyway.

This technique here may in fact bring some people in, the idea is good in theory (bravo to santa claus), but many who come will only be here to talk about themselves then leave, IF they come at all.

Another point to consider, and this is just my opinion, but most really, really great independent musicians are successful in their own right and really don't have time to mess around in a forum. I think its a point that needs considered.

This bunch is the exception to that rule and that's why I admire the lot of you, but at the same token, most here are retired and have plenty of time to kill. Not a dig at all, but maybe we should be targeting a certain age bracket?

I'm online a lot, because I'm lucky enough to have a job that allows me to sit behind the internet most of my day. If I didn't, my iTime would be very limited. I got attached to this group back at GB because of Cj, that's just the truth (and I guess Stevo too). If we (Cj and myself) would not have started working together musically, I probably wouldn't be typing this right now and hell, maybe even AV would have never came about. Who knows? In fact, most of my relationships here were built through Cj. (god I hate thanking that fucker for anything.)

I'd say most bands brought here to review and share are "out there" living in the scene and just don't have time for forum convo. Von from ONOFFON is a good example. Great sounding band, and when he IS in a forum or website, its to promote, not shoot the shit. Just look at his thread at Taxi. Enough said on Von.

Certainly nothing wrong with that.

I can't even begin to count how many times I've tried to get Led Man, Universal Hall Pass, Nitro Lounge (Dying Breed), Uncle Nancy, Circles In Autumn, etc., into the forums (ALL creme de creme). They just don't have time. I managed to get Mike from CIA into the old AVF for what 3 posts? AND he is one of my best friends and collaborator at one point.

I think most know my stand on independent music. I listen to A LOT of it and support A LOT of it and BUY a lot of it. But that's what I do. If I was out doing the band thing every other night, things might be different, as far as my time listening to and promoting indies.

Fact of the matter here is, and this may sound harsh, but to myself, I can count on one hand and with a few fingers from the other, the individuals here that ACTUALLY support independent music.

I will say, this forum probably holds the largest amount of overall talent around. I've heard and enjoyed a lot of great music from you guys. But that's to be expected from a group that's been doing it since Methuselah went solo.
I close my eyes and I feel the fear.
stephen

Postby zobear » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:03 pm

This is a cool idea...Thanks! I'm hearing some good stuff. I may not dig it all, but always a bonus to listen to something new.

Sorry Stephen, were you saying something? ;)
zobear

Postby stephen » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:58 am

zobear wrote:This is a cool idea...Thanks! I'm hearing some good stuff. I may not dig it all, but always a bonus to listen to something new.

Sorry Stephen, were you saying something? ;)

Oh Julie you crazy kid you.

Yes, I was saying the idea is good. Will it bring in new blood? IMHO no. But if it gives the current membership new insight and new tunes to listen to, then its worth the effort, as it appears to be.
I close my eyes and I feel the fear.
stephen

Postby mistertroll » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:45 am

Locked?

This area has certainly been dead, and I realize they were originally being unlocked monthly. Just had something to post, and can't...
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Previous

Return to Indie Music Exchange & Referrals