posting music in iMER ....

Have you heard some independent music you love so much you gotta share? Do it here. (please post NEW music in the appropriately dated subforum)
Forum rules
Leave the big names out please, let's keep it independent.

(please post NEW music in the appropriately dated subforum)

posting music in iMER ....

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:15 pm

WOW.

apparently troll's idea for this forum was a good one - at least with a decent number of AR'rs ....

cool.

but I can see it becoming a very confusing place in a short period of time ... what've I heard, what haven't I ...??? click click page go back page scroll down .... rinse and repeat ...

we really might want to think about a way of keeping the navigation of this forum easy to follow ... unfortunately: probably with sub forums, at least a few to start.
what do we think might be a good way of categorizing? or at least organizing. we could go with style, genre - but that's sometimes cloudy and subjective. yet - off the top of my head, I can't think of a more logical way.

we do have to do something I think, if we're really interested in in some small way, promoting the music we recommend, we should look halfway like we care about what we're doing instead of just throwing everything into a big hat. and if we're really looking at creating a website here, if you think about it, THIS could be the forum for fishing for audiopolis participants in the future.

so how does anyone think we might accomplish that? (the organization of the forum ya doobs)

btw ...... slow down ji ya greedy ol' drongo, pace yourself with your sharing, you're older now, you've got things that ain't how they used to be ... rest now, sleep ... QUIT POSTING SONGS FOR 5 MINUTES - GIVE US A CHANCE TO KEEP UP!!!
you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Re: posting music in iMER ....

Postby ROXI » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:39 pm

I really like the surprise factor. How about keeping posts by the date posted.
In a world of Zombies, I'm alone with a match, a beer and a bong, and my heart has turned into stone. Glorify only what you want your child to emulate
ROXI

Postby mistertroll » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:45 pm

ROXI wrote:I really like the surprise factor. How about keeping posts by the date posted.

That's a good idea. "Sticky " them in chronological order. Can it be set up to automatically "sticky" them with the newest at the top?
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and nobody gets hurt.

mistertroll

Postby cjdenecia » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:02 am

mistertroll wrote:
ROXI wrote:I really like the surprise factor. How about keeping posts by the date posted.

That's a good idea. "Sticky " them in chronological order. Can it be set up to automatically "sticky" them with the newest at the top?

well ... I don't see a toggle available to keep posts sorted by date on a global basis. individuals can do it with how they view threads but ... what I think I did was make a "sticky" option available to all registered users - they may work in a way. but the poster will have to do it manually and I'm tempted to think a lot of people will forget or not see the option ... which would then be a little silly. we could stick a NOTE up there on the Forum rules to click the button I suppose, that'd help but wouldn't be dopeproof. in fact, after looking at it - it sucks. a new topic poster has to scroll all the way down, click post topic as ... sticky - and then leave the days at 0.

a lot of work for you slack yaks.

I don't think these forums are built this way. I coulda missed a setting but I doubt it ...

good idea but all in all, I think we're still needing other ideas. that's too messy. maybe somebody that knows forum admin inside and out has an idea of a phpBB setting - maybe jaymz or jay or rick sees the way but I don't.

we could set up weekly folders (sub forums) and people could figure out where to post with a little prodding ... that wouldn't help much on a daily basis but it would be better than nothing .... the most recent post will still float but there would be some date recognition in the setup.

???

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:22 am

so then, with a lack of input, I've just created the sub folder forums ... please post new songs and artists, etc in the appropriately dated location. obviously, all replies go in whatever thread you're in.

may not be the best listing and sorting setup ever, but it's all we got right now.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby pharquartt » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:59 am

cjdenecia wrote:so then, with a lack of input, I've just created the sub folder forums ... please post new songs and artists, etc in the appropriately dated location. obviously, all replies go in whatever thread you're in.

may not be the best listing and sorting setup ever, but it's all we got right now.

sorry.....

i was going to suggest monthly since after the initial rush of suggestions, this will start to taper off. but later on, with a larger membership base, this might need a weekly slot.

carry on.....
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:14 am

easily adaptable to monthly. and back again ....

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby cjdenecia » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:34 am

amazing.

a place to show off friends, finds and all things indie fantastic and such a small turnout ... the same basic numbers as the review forum. minimal.

like there's more of a passion to tell a joke or show a youtube of somebody who's got their head up their ass than do a "solid" for a band or musician who's deserving ....

[insert righteous indignation here] YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK.

I'm about 3 seconds from putting some of you on the spot and asking you if you even listen to independent music.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Chris K. » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm about 3 seconds from putting some of you on the spot and asking you if you even listen to independent music.

this isn't the only forum i've had this issue with cj .. the denvermusicboard.com i find the same sorta thing ... less talk about local music, and more talk and vidz as you describe ... it's a damned shame, really, innit (to use a coined phrase)
Chris K.

Postby Krispy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:58 am

With the tunes being "off-site", it's hard to tell how many people have actually bothered to check them out. Unless they say so, of course, but not everyone wants to comment. Maybe it would be an idea to have one of the "poll" things in each thread; y'know - I listened, I liked it, I hated it, I'm indifferent...just to see if anyone cares. That'd be quicker than composing an opinion.
To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby Peevette » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:08 pm

cj, I'm not sure what has you riled up.

Is it because the amount of music that is being shared has slowed a bit or is it because not too many comments are being made regarding the artists that have been posted?

If it is the latter, I'm not sure why one is expected to post a comment.

I suppose I'm looking for clarification of what you anticipated from these threads.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby shankarji » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:10 pm

Peevette wrote:cj, I'm not sure what has you riled up.

Is it because the amount of music that is being shared has slowed a bit or is it because not too many comments are being made regarding the artists that have been posted?

If it is the latter, I'm not sure why one is expected to post a comment.

I suppose I'm looking for clarification of what you anticipated from these threads.

Ditto that...I thought this was a place to turn people on to indie bands that I like. I hadn't envisioned it as another Review forum.
A guy at work bought a car out of the paper. Ten years later, Bam! Herpes.Peter Griffin
shankarji

Postby cjdenecia » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:32 pm

I wasn't expecting anything. and "riled" up? yeah, ok ......

anyway - to be sure, I was hoping for participation in something music oriented by more than the same handful who take part in the reviews .... makes me wonder a great deal about putting forth effort to build a website. for who? for what?

if that's riled up, guilty as charged.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby Peevette » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:16 pm

cjdenecia wrote:I wasn't expecting anything. and "riled" up? yeah, ok ......

anyway - to be sure, I was hoping for participation in something music oriented by more than the same handful who take part in the reviews .... makes me wonder a great deal about putting forth effort to build a website. for who? for what?

Understood.

Not sure how to help you determine which avenue to take. Do you want this website that you're willing to build? If so, it may be worth your effort to build something for those few who do continually get involved with the music.

I'm sorry to say, you can bring the horse to the water, you can't make him drink.

"for what?" If you don't know the answer to that, who will.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Peevette

Postby pharquartt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:28 am

cjdenecia wrote:I wasn't expecting anything. and "riled" up? yeah, ok ......

i understand the frustration, but i wonder if it is a realistic expectation.i think the percentage will always be small, as far as the consistently active participants are concerned.

if and when the site adds a considerable amount of members, that hard-core percentage will naturally grow with it. GB had a pretty good crowd, but that was out of many hundreds....

we ain't there yet.
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Next

Return to Indie Music Exchange & Referrals