[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - How to conduct a survey on our band website?

How to conduct a survey on our band website?

A place to help the technically inept among us with computer issues, equipment problems, or even website difficulties. If you can offer help, please speak up!

How to conduct a survey on our band website?

Postby Stevo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:42 am

Hey gang. Am hoping one of you web gurus can advise me.

We have a band website hosted by GoDaddy (http://www.ultravioletuforia.com). I wrote all the HTML code, but it's pretty basic - nothing really interactive.

I'd like to conduct a small market research survey as part of a promotional give-away. In other words, I'd like to offer a free song download to anyone willing to answer say 3 questions like:

1) How would you like to get updates about the band?
- Facebook / Twitter / MySpace / iLike / Email / Other
2) How often would you like to get updates about the band?
- Weekly / Monthly / Quarterly / Other
3) Where do you prefer to buy music online?
- iTunes / CDBaby / MySpace / iLike / Direct from band websites / Other

I could conduct this survey by email, but thought it would be slicker if I could just send out a link and invite people to respond online, where hopefully I could capture the resulting data.

Does anyone know how I could accomplish this without having to learn php or something from scratch? Pretty sure our web hosting includes some basic MySQL database functionality, but have never explored that.

Any insight and/or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Stevo
Stevo

Re: How to conduct a survey on our band website?

Postby Steve Soucy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:01 am

My wife and I have used https://www.surveymonkey.com/
about 50 times for various things. I'm sure there are lots of other sites, that's just the one we've used and it works great.

It's free for the first 100 responses, $25 a month for up to 1000 responses. $225 a year for unlimited number of surveys and responses. Really easy to use, type in the questions... then send out the link.

I can't say enough good stuff about how much surveys can tell you about your peeps think of you and/or what you offer people.

When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

~ Corrie Ten Boom
Steve Soucy

Postby jaymz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Ditto for the monkey.

You can use some open source stuff, but it's easier to man the monkey.
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby Stevo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:44 am

just what I needed - thanks chaps!
Stevo

Postby Stevo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:09 am

Wow - I couldn't be more impressed with StudioMonkey. What a well written site! They struck the perfect blance - enough features to get the results you want, but a simple and easy to understand UI.

They even have a new feature that allows you to embed a survey on your site. Tried it out and it works great. Decided I only need to use the old link method for now, but can envision uses for embedding in future.

Thanks again guys for turning me on! :P
Stevo

Postby jaymz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:55 pm

You said "Monkey". heh heh
Take that! Hatless!
jaymz

Postby nunani » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 am

very interesting post! :thumb:
losing signal...-.::_signal amps ready to engage.-:__
nunani

Return to Tech Tools & Advice