Page 1 of 1

Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:59 am
by Ailwyn Rees
I guess this just sums things up quite nicely. People moaning about the demise of this website, blame being apportioned left, right and centre, all CJ's fault (NOT), BRS system unfair?

When I joined this site, I was a bit of a slow starter, but got there in the end, fully comprehending that the more reviews a song got, the better chance it had of achieving #1 status. Very unlikely now, as there appears to be so few of you reviewing? CJ, you deserve a medal for putting yourself out by dedicating the time to critically review all but a handful of songs on this site, and there are those of you out there that haven't reviewed one song! You know who you are!

I appear to be the last man standing. Pat continues to upload his songs for all of you to listen to if you can be bothered... yes, he's done his fair share of reviews too! The attachment hopefully fully explains where I am coming from with the subject of this post!

2016-09-08.png
Last Man Standing!
(135.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:11 pm
by ptalbot
TBH, I'm still posting here more as a habit than anything. My hopes are not high that there will be anyone listening...

But truly this site is dead and it's not the BRS fault nor any issue with the concept or its execution...
It's a question of marketing and how this would have been a tremendous effort to find sponsors, create events, affiliate, federate, create contacts, spread the word to find new users.
No one knows about this site, and no one ever will because it's never been publicized.
And I'm not blaming CJ or the admin for this, it's clear that this needed an injection of money and time that no one as an individual could have made.
This is a huge commitment and it's hard to blame anyone that it never happened.

To make this work and because people are what they are, you would need thousands+ new users, that "might" give you 10% of them writing reviews and start things up...
But to attract that much people cannot be done by moaning or dreaming about what kind of changes could be done to the BRS to be more efficient.
Only some serious marketing ploy with serious incentive for new users to come and stay could have done the trick.

I'm just amazed that this thing is still up actually. I suppose there's some nostalgia involved from the owner(s)...

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:35 pm
by Ailwyn Rees
ptalbot wrote:TBH, I'm still posting here more as a habit than anything. My hopes are not high that there will be anyone listening...

But truly this site is dead and it's not the BRS fault nor any issue with the concept or its execution...
It's a question of marketing and how this would have been a tremendous effort to find sponsors, create events, affiliate, federate, create contacts, spread the word to find new users.
No one knows about this site, and no one ever will because it's never been publicized.
And I'm not blaming CJ or the admin for this, it's clear that this needed an injection of money and time that no one as an individual could have made.
This is a huge commitment and it's hard to blame anyone that it never happened.

To make this work and because people are what they are, you would need thousands+ new users, that "might" give you 10% of them writing reviews and start things up...
But to attract that much people cannot be done by moaning or dreaming about what kind of changes could be done to the BRS to be more efficient.
Only some serious marketing ploy with serious incentive for new users to come and stay could have done the trick.

I'm just amazed that this thing is still up actually. I suppose there's some nostalgia involved from the owner(s)...


Thanks Pat.... that's 3 of us singing from the same hymn sheet' I'm off this week... I'll put some thought into your comments, catch up with Stebo and get back to you. I found your reply very encouraging, like I have found your reviews! This site needs more people like you on board!

Reflecting back, whenever I've had a problem on this site, the admin team have always responded, even during these apathetic days. CJ couldn't have done more trying to ram home the 3 R.s... Review, Review, Review, but few listened!

I've never been a quitter! I'm not quitting this website, an I'm game to do what I can to keep it running, but I know I can't do it on my own!

Personally, I like the BRS System. I'm all for the element of surprise, and it prevents users from boosting their favourites and own uploads!

Keep on rockin' Pat :rock:

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:58 pm
by ptalbot
You can say "Review, review, review" all you like, it won't work unless there are people around. And by people, I mean a lot of people.
The system is not at fault. It could have been improved one way or another, but it doesn't matter if there's no one to visit.
So the first issue was always to attract people. Not an easy task nowadays...

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:44 pm
by Ailwyn Rees
ptalbot wrote:You can say "Review, review, review" all you like, it won't work unless there are people around. And by people, I mean a lot of people.
The system is not at fault. It could have been improved one way or another, but it doesn't matter if there's no one to visit.
So the first issue was always to attract people. Not an easy task nowadays...


I heard about this website from the horses mouth, not insinuating that CJ is a horse! We live about 15 min from each other and worked at the same place for a while, that is until November when he and I will be reunited! How did you come across it, Pat? I agree, it's not easy to attract anybody to anything these days, unless you have CJ's good looks!

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:19 pm
by ptalbot
IIRC, I think I've read a post about it from steban or Ingo Lee on forum.recordingreview.com where I was (and still is to a certain extent) a regular.
Got me curious enough to look at it and I was amazed to see it was (already at the time) a dying place...

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:30 pm
by Ailwyn Rees
ptalbot wrote:IIRC, I think I've read a post about it from steban or Ingo Lee on forum.recordingreview.com where I was (and still is to a certain extent) a regular.
Got me curious enough to look at it and I was amazed to see it was (already at the time) a dying place...


Hi Pat,

Just looked this one up... looks a bit messy. Out rehearsing later so I'll have a good look through it tonight. Hope you're keeping well?

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:49 pm
by ptalbot
Yeah, it's messy but it's alive! See you there. ;)

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:29 pm
by Ailwyn Rees
Well, it now appears to be official!

I am now the last man standing!

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:49 pm
by steban
Not the last!

Pat and cj are right about the BRS not working without a LOT of reviewing. And for a long time now I have pondered how to generate more reviews, the sufficient number for a sustainable BRS.

For a long time I thought the solution was not giving away reviews for minimal or no effort. In the GarageBand days, you needed 20 reviews to upload a song or get an Instant Karma, a fast review. That was sufficient. Our system does not require enough reviews to enter a song, and it lacks any other incentive to review beyond the theoretical reviews one will get. It is inherently insufficient.

But recently it occurred to me we could indeed generate sufficient reviews with an ongoing parallel contest with cash prizes and onsite promotion. Sure, it is unproven, but I'm willing to personally try and fork out the cash required for prizes.

We don't need any site development from Gregg, but we need assurances the site will remain alive in its dead period long enough to determine if I'm right or wrong.

I want to make our site a one stop source for info on all music review and contest sites offering our own site as one of the choices.

I want the world to know how dead we have become, and how we are revitalizing it. There are more indie musicians now than there ever were as desktop music tools for creation and distribution, and monetization, are better than ever, but lost in the explosion of the web. Our site is not alone in the rubble. And we can rise from the ashes.

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:33 am
by Ailwyn Rees
steban wrote: Our site is not alone in the rubble. And we can rise from the ashes.


phoenix.jpg
phoenix.jpg (12.13 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

Re: Last Man Standing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:32 pm
by Ailwyn Rees
steban wrote:
We don't need any site development from Gregg, but we need assurances the site will remain alive in its dead period long enough to determine if I'm right or wrong.

I want to make our site a one stop source for info on all music review and contest sites offering our own site as one of the choices.

I want the world to know how dead we have become, and how we are revitalizing it. There are more indie musicians now than there ever were as desktop music tools for creation and distribution, and monetization, are better than ever, but lost in the explosion of the web. Our site is not alone in the rubble. And we can rise from the ashes.


Yep, I get it now... What I'd like to know is what these other admin guys think of all this, and our Moderator too!!!

2017-03-19 (2).png
(77.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet


Funny how they've all migrated off onto other musical projects, or got stuck in their own self apathy, or just simply can't be assed anymore.

I need the support of you two to kick start these reviews again... It might just others to start again, or newbies to start...

Guess us 3 have to watch this space...