[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - The State of Your Music

The State of Your Music

Nicey-nice talk is here.

The State of Your Music

Postby steban » Tue May 31, 2016 10:47 pm

I've been pondering and inventorying my songs, especially my newest efforts. Are my songs improving or what?

My theory is we each go through cycles like biorhythms but musicrhythms, with peaks and valleys of creativity and productivity and objectives.

Sometimes we are revisiting the past, seeking to revitalize the ones we like the most, and sometimes we are floating in the present, feeling epiphanies flittering about offering to be part of new songs, and sometimes we are in the trough when nothing appeals or motivates enough to take action.

Sometimes we want to write the one hit wonder 3 minute pop song, sometimes our life work opus. And oftentimes what comes about is anything and everything in between.

Frankly, there are many a time I feel like I'm nearing the end of my songmaking hobby, telling myself I have over 200 songs, that that is a lot and enough, a credible body of work that is what it is. Next thing I know I'm fooling around, fiddling about, and with zero warning I have a new song, a song I get excited over, that seems as good or better than so much of my previous work, and yet there may be no trace of another to follow it, possibly portending this one was the last ever, or at least for a while.

And then it happens again. Well, that is how it has been for several years now, and how it is right now for me. I have this nonmusical feeling that if I just took a nice power nap and just turned on Reaper, I'd somehow discover a new and exciting song that was previously completely unknown to me. But maybe not today!

So I see I have been doing a solid half dozen songs a year lately, which is active but relaxed. The newest are always trying to push their way to the top of my personal playlist favs, and for those of us who never had popular songs, it feels like burying the old ones alive.

So one thing on my mind is finding a long term safe haven for music on the cloud that is free, and I may have in Google Drive. I wanted to share this with you.

Not fancy, but fast and free, and you don't have to have a gmail account. This allows an easy free nonmonetizable download, but the question might really be if fans want to support you or not, in which case they only need a place to do so like Bandcamp.com. It just is a lot of work to put a hundred songs up there as opposed to Google.

So anyway, for me 2016 is a satisfactory year, no masterpiece but some fun ones so far. I hope the same or better for you.
steban

Re: The State of Your Music

Postby HUD » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:43 pm

My PC for recording is near death, so I have to buy another... am actually considering going over to Apple. Would need to migrate my latest project over from my 1999 Sonar program into something modern.

In the meantime, I've been working really hard on my solo act, getting my acoustic guitar chops better than ever. Maybe a blessing to get away from the laboratory environment and just honker down on the musicianship. For instance, I've known "And I Love Her" since forever, but what does a guitarist do about the half step modulation up from Em to Fm and play the instrumental line while holding down the chords? Actually, there are some interesting ways of utilizing the open strings whilst in Fminor.

Got the "Besamé Mucho" down cold-with the español, jazzed up, synchopated "I'm in the Mood for Love"....

Getting a pretty long list of songs together so I can hopefully take the next step beyond open mics.
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Re: The State of Your Music

Postby steban » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:06 am

That's all really good to hear, HUD. No doubt those of you who are instrumentally extremely talented still need to practice to be at the peak of your performance.

And I hated to upgrade my PC from XP, my Cubase and my EMU sound card would not make it to 7, and everything we composed and projects we created are hard to even open on a new system. Soundfonts even became obsolete and too low a sample rate with the new soft synths required. The good news is the new stuff sounds so much better! Of course, once you get used to your new stuff, that is. At first it can be difficult to get set up and predictable.

I have been tempted to go Apple. It has a lot of theoretical simplicity and stability compared to Windows, also Garageband seems to be a pretty powerful out of the box system. I personally went Windows and Reaper and free sounds and a handful of purchased soft synths- Sonic Synth 2, Alchemy (defunct), Jamstix 3, VG Iron and now VG Amber. Even at $100 a pop that is $500, and it probably was actually $700, just to get those on sale, and $50 for Reaper, but I feel like I have a lot of powerful tools. If you listen to any of my newer songs, you will probably find the sounds themselves, independent of my performance/composition, to be pretty strong. I am not saying there aren't better alternatives out there, but I do not feel I will run out of new cool sounds ever.

Now that I've gotten used to Reaper, I am very comfortable with it, and it seems to be almost intuitive about levels, etc, but not until I also upgraded my midi controller to a cheap Midiplus AKM320- again, legacy drivers for old hardware is fraught with issues.

So it is a lot of house cleaning, but you will be so happy, HUD, in the end, and that will probably make you more productive and inspired than you may imagine.
steban

Return to General Discussion