[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4554: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4556: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4557: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3751)
Audio Refugees • View topic - so then ....

so then ....

Nicey-nice talk is here.

Re: so then ....

Postby Krispy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:24 pm

To save time, assume I know everything
Krispy

Postby PopTodd » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:55 pm

It's not just here. Every single music-related site that I frequent has been pretty damn dead for the last year or so -- getting steadily deader.
I think that Facebook and other large social networking sites have a lot to do with it. There are larger audiences there, and it's all consolidated, so folks -- including musicians -- just spend more time there. Little niche sites like this one are becoming niche-ier and niche-ier.
Too bad because I do think that Audiopolis and similar places still have a lot to offer. Hopefully we'll survive. But really, time will tell.

PopTodd

Postby cjdenecia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:42 pm

you can't handle the truth.

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:55 pm

I've been out of pocket a few weeks, but losing the free hosting is discouraging. I am willing to do whatever I can to continue to provide a home for audiopolis.org, for example I do have a website with GoDaddy that could accept the two website names, audiopolis.org and audiorefugees.com. Of course, the main difficulty is actually rebuilding the old sites at the new address, something I can imagine but have never personally done.

I'm willing to spend a few bucks to accomplish that.

It isn't just because I find our site so wonderful as is, as music sites in general are feeling the crunch as stuff changes, but I think we have yet to try new ideas out, new formats, that our basic database of reviews and music may provide a unique kickstart for.

I think I have at least 100GB space for data available now, and I could up it if need be.
steban

Postby steban » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:23 pm

To briefly continue, I don't think any of us ever expected to depend on a handful of benevolent souls to keep us alive, so let's see what we can do.

I have one idea for paid premium reviews. $25 for 5 reviews of a song by our top reviewers. It could be that nowadays what some people want is not just free but instant gratification of quality feedback at a fair price.
steban

Postby cjdenecia » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:35 am

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:57 am

I understand what you mean about the numbers, my friend. GB existed at a point in time when the challenge was members being able to stream the music without a 10-20 minute wait! The dream of every musician was to circumvent labels and sell songs iTunes style. And a little feedback was worth $20 for a single instant karma review which often was a drive by!

Todd was right how all the music discovery sites are in a decline, with Pandora/iTunes as notable exceptions. In a way our original purpose- being a better GB- has been passed by for other music consumption sites and the allure of multipurpose social media, mainly Facebook, and music with videos on Youtube.

On the other hand, there are possibilities out there. For one, we have a lot of reviews we can point to at our site and before if only by legend now, and the small group of us can make the claim we are very very good at it, and as much as I think the open egalitarian system we have in place is important, we ought to offer the musicians of the world who are looking for some hardcore feedback a chance to buy it and get it quickly. There may be far more indie musicians who desire that with $25 burning a hole in their pocket than we could handle. We could offer them a fast track into the big general contest as well, and we can honestly boast we have a real contest underway with real music in it.

The other big area is a mobile music app that is more than just listening to unknown artists' songs but exciting to interact with on a regular weekly basis. We can call audiopolis our home without trying to merely port it to an app.

We cannot do any of that unless we continue to exist as a site.

There is nothing to be ashamed of for our general belief a 100 members would mean success, as we have learned that our model was flawed for the new internet habits of people. We know for a fact we need to do something different, and the question is do we want to try something different? Will we be happy pursuing a new approach? I am personally excited to try something new, multiple things new.

And I see among our assets a wheelbarrow, a holocaust cloak, and Gregg, you, Kim, HUD, Todd, and dare I say myself, Ailwyn, Ingo and zxyz, and I for one say we let the contest with all its inactive enterers continue to flounder in their own inactivity while the site ventures in new directions. That new blood is not them, but it is indeed out there. I am certainly not mentioning a lot of regulars and irregulars who just aren't the big reviewer types, some oldtimers and some new, but there aren't too many of them either.

It would be ridiculous to suggest we do a reality TV or internet TV music show a la American Idol, far too much to invest and doomed to be crushed by the majors. On the other hand, an app is amazingly cheap and easy to start up and could be a huge hit very quickly if it were entertaining enough. And if we can imagine it, we can do it.

The way I see it is the underlying goal of audiopolis has always been to help promote indie music to the masses. Anything we dream up that does that in any way, even ways we or anyone else has ever tried, is within our mission statement.

I also feel that we have plodded along our path during the most tumultuous period of music history ever, and since we did not demand monetary success, or even numerical success in hits, we survived it to see perhaps the dawning of a new day. I do not believe the current state of indie music is wonderful. Au contraire, it is hurting and discouraging and depressing. It needs desperately what we aspire to dream. A city, an opolis, for the musicians of the world. A community, and a home away from home. We even have a village idiot, and if he doesn't like it, he can leave or change his ways.

I know how disheartened you are, how hard you personally tried, and I know you are not nor ever were the problem. I also think you are the unrecognized top indie music reviewer in the world. And so long as our site is online, I can prove it!

I just learned of a real genre called filk music, which is loosely music with sci-fi or fantasy themes. It has been around a long time, and there are some who may desire to limit it to a narrow circle of musicians ad lib playing acoustic instruments, but I'd say we have music like that. Just sayin'.

We are flying so under the radar we can talk a lot now and not fear our ideas will be stolen any time soon. On the other hand, we need time to talk more, not time to allow the current site model to suddenly rise from the dead like zombies. We need time, and we need to make that new plan with an open mind and use all that hindsight to our advantage.
steban

Postby pharquartt » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:53 am

time to quit, huh? :tard:

seems to me, we've been here before.

this site was never expected to be "profitable" so why did we bother at all?

i thought this site was supposed to be our middle finger to the rest of the world. a refuge from normality. almost achieved that...

does everybody really want to quit? or perhaps, some are just tired of shouldering the responsibility of maintaining the fight. (perfectly understandable)

is this up for debate and/or has anyone really made the case to the members of what they would be losing through their inaction?

(and before you say stfu, rick, i haven't been gone that long - in dinosaur years, it's just a blink.....)

as for the technical aspects of the site, we all know there are new people capable of running it. just have to find them.

is the idea dead?
now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby cjdenecia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:35 pm

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby pharquartt » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:30 am

now is the infinite opposite
pharquartt
Site Admin

Postby HUD » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:04 pm

As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby steban » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:02 pm

steban

Postby HUD » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:37 pm

As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid
HUD

Postby cjdenecia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm

nor do you want to ...
cjdenecia

Postby steban » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:17 pm

Last edited by steban on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steban

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion